Beneteau 311-18hp Yanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

To every one who responded to my first question about buying a 311, Thank You for your helpful responses. My next question is do you feel that the 18hp 2 cylinder yanmar engine is powerful enough to move the boat around. I am familiar with yanmar and it is a fine engine, but I feel that the 311 may be a bit under powered by this model. I would appreciate any comments on this. Thank You

B

BILL TRIPP

Find out from beneteau what HP options are available. Go for the biggest.

M

Mike G

311 Under power

18 HP is the about the standard for the 30 -31 ft range. Ask your dealer if he has a 311 in the water that you can use under power. Don't expect planning speeds, my 321 has the 27hp and is faster under sail on good sailing day than on aux power.You can talk to your dealer but I doubt that Beneteau can cram a 27 hp Yammar into the 311 engine bay.

T

Tom

18 HP Yanmar

I don't think Beneteau gives you an option for a larger engine in the 311. The 18 hp is sufficient. You can go close to 6 knots at the cruising rpm of 2800 with just the auxilary motor. I would get close to 7 knots when I was motor sailing.

D

Dr. Bob Brown

Which Beneteau 311?

For Tom of Solomons, Md, -- which version of the B311 did you quote the speeds for, the keel version or the keel/centerboard with twin rudders version? I have the twin rudder, shoal draft version (Mobile Bay is max. depth of 10 feet, mostly) and get about a knot less than you quote. Does this jibe with your experience?

T

Tom

18 HP Yanmar

I had the keel version not the twin rudder version. I have never sailed the twin rudder version so I don't know if there is a difference. I am surprised if you can't get over 5 knots with just the auxilary motor at 2800 rpm. I wouldn't think the difference in keel would make that much difference. Even if I was going into the wind I normally could get 5.5 knots at that rpm.

D

Dr. Bob Brown

Wetted Area

I guess the difference (assuming I haven't caught a crab trap) is in the wetted area of the additional rudder. The slot for the centerboard will also increase the drag. I'm just going to have to dive on the boat and make sure there's nothing caught on it anywhere. Thanks for responding, Tom.

Status
Not open for further replies.