Beneteau 285 trailer

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
Beneteau 285 First Tahoe City
I'm new to the Beneteau world. Are there trailers available for my Beneteau first 285? I would like to move my boat at the end of the season to a new location

Aug 28, 2012
Beneteau First 285 Brookville IN
I just purchased a First 285 Last fall and was researching the same question. While I doubt there are trailers around to be purchased, I got quotes from Loadmaster & Triad Trailers over the winter to build one. Looks like around $6500 would do it. Each have made trialers for this boat before, and sent pictures.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You might want to register at

http://beneteau235.com/

There is a very active forum for 285 owners there, and will have options and advice on 285 trailers. You do see 285s on trailers occasionally. But became the boat is so big, and needs to be crane launched, it's actually a very specialized set of requirements that make a trailer make sense. A lot of people end up with just an extra storage expense.

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
You might want to register at

http://beneteau235.com/

There is a very active forum for 285 owners there, and will have options and advice on 285 trailers. You do see 285s on trailers occasionally. But became the boat is so big, and needs to be crane launched, it's actually a very specialized set of requirements that make a trailer make sense. A lot of people end up with just an extra storage expense.

Thanks, I will check it our

Jun 27, 2013
Beneteau First 285 McFadden Cove Marina, Kaw Lake, OK
I'm new to the Beneteau world. Are there trailers available for my Beneteau first 285? I would like to move my boat at the end of the season to a new location
I have a trailer for my F285. I bought it with TGE trailer and have only launched the boat with it and an 18' tongue extension. We have not retrieved the boat with it yet (just bought it this season) but, I was told I would need PVC guides and keel guides in order to do so. The trailer is a 3 axle. That could be overkill or necessary considering the weight of the boat. I hope this can help. Good luck.
Matt

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
I have a trailer for my F285. I bought it with TGE trailer and have only launched the boat with it and an 18' tongue extension. We have not retrieved the boat with it yet (just bought it this season) but, I was told I would need PVC guides and keel guides in order to do so. The trailer is a 3 axle. That could be overkill or necessary considering the weight of the boat. I hope this can help. Good luck.
Matt
Thanks Matt for your response
Is TGE a trailer manufacturer?. It looks like I may have purchase new to get what I want.
Where are you located ?
Fuzzy

Jun 27, 2013
If attaching this photo works, here's a shot of my trailer in case you think you may be able to customize an existing trailer. Not sure about the TGE being a manufacturer.

Attachments

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
We bought our First 285 several years ago and trailered from Portland, OR to Olympia. We managed to borrow a trailer from the broker/PO for the trip. It certainly was not built specifically for the boat or modified for our trip. Perhaps you will be able to find something used, or even borrow or rent for your relocation.

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
We bought our First 285 several years ago and trailered from Portland, OR to Olympia. We managed to borrow a trailer from the broker/PO for the trip. It certainly was not built specifically for the boat or modified for our trip. Perhaps you will be able to find something used, or even borrow or rent for your relocation.
That's not something I have thought about.

Thank you

Fred

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
If attaching this photo works, here's a shot of my trailer in case you think you may be able to customize an existing trailer. Not sure about the TGE being a manufacturer.
That may work. Do you have a few dimensions? Weight capability,, length, etc. I have a trailer guy that can modify once I have the line drawings. Where you located?

Thanks,

Fred
C775 742 1966
Info@fredmcelroy.com

Jun 27, 2013
I can get some measurement for you if you will need them. Sorry I didn't see this for a while. I'm not sure about weight capacity because this trailer was modified, I believe from a 2 to a 3 axel. I have seen this size of Beneteau on a 2 axel trailer, I'm just not sure of any specs.

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
Beneteau First 285 Trailer

I can get some measurement for you if you will need them. Sorry I didn't see this for a while. I'm not sure about weight capacity because this trailer was modified, I believe from a 2 to a 3 axel. I have seen this size of Beneteau on a 2 axel trailer, I'm just not sure of any specs.
I have been looking for line drawing for my boat I think I have a source. Once I have the line drawing, then I have a guy that can modify the trailer. The Beneteau will fit on a dual axle. I only move it twice a year

Again thanks for your help

Fuzzy

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
I have been looking for line drawing for my boat I think I have a source. Once I have the line drawing, then I have a guy that can modify the trailer. The Beneteau will fit on a dual axle. I only move it twice a year

Fuzzy

Here is a link to the line drawings

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Desktop/FIRST%20285%20(BENETEAU)%20sailboat%20specifications%20and%20details%20on%20sailboatdata.com.htm

Fuzzy

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004

Fuzzy
Here is link to the line drawings for my boat and photo of her

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=675

Fuzzy

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Trailering a Bene 285

I'm considering a Bene First 285 as my next boat. At 6100lbs empty, the trailer should certainly have 4000+ lb axles (5000lb axles are common)...

I'm trying to wrap my head around whether I can launch this thing on a ramp like I want (our ramp is REALLY steep). I'd likely be looking at a spare wheel hub assembly with a wheel, like the Catalina 25 folks do (as do the Catalina 27 folks)... We have a local marina that uses a long fork on a heavy duty Ag tractor to launch larger sailboats, so I may have to go that route, but I managed to launch my considerably lighter Capri 25 (4'2" draft) using the strap launch method, and casters, the heavier duty wheel assembly though might be the trick.

My solution to getting the boat back on the trailer involved putting a cut-off winch post backward on my trailer, and a keel roller on it... this forced the bow to ride UP as the boat was winched toward the trailer. It worked well for #3000, not sure how it'd do on #6000. You'll also see my casters which would NOT be big enough for this arrangement... these are rated only to #350lbs per, probably not enough to withstand what is likely well over 800lbs of tongue weight.

Oh and my trailer already had keel guides for the fin keel... not sure what I'd have to do for a wing keel (although my tiny Capri 22 had a wing and keel guides).

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Hey I know this is an old thread... but I'm going to infuse it with life...
Just got a quote from Triad Trailers (and frankly they know their large keelboat launching from water, I'm impressed)...

New trailer is close to $8000, FULLY decked out with everything you need to ramp launch the 285... if you just need a transport trailer its about $3k less (if you have a crane and cradle to pull the boat off the trailer)... Honestly I thought that was a reasonable price for brand new galvanized.

Decisions decisions...
The ramp launching system Triad developed is a set of airplane landing gear under the tongue, and a 24 foot extension that is merely used to control the rollback of the trailer, it's not a traditional extension but one that floats up and down at that distance... seems like a good plan... Also their "float off" model trailer has keel guides, a bow/keel roller to raise the bow while winching back on, and a ladder up the winch post to get onto the boat. Again, I think it's a well rounded approach to ramp launching larger keel-boats.

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Trailering a Bene 285

Our Beneteau 285 First plus trailer weigh nearly 10,000lb. I don't think I could possibly use a ramp to launch, much too heavy and cumbersome. We use a large hoist & fork lift to raise the mast, here in Lake Tahoe. The trailer in the photo looks much smaller than our 3 axle behemoth

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Our Beneteau 285 First plus trailer weigh nearly 10,000lb. I don't think I could possibly use a ramp to launch, much too heavy and cumbersome. We use a large hoist & fork lift to raise the mast, here in Lake Tahoe. The trailer in the photo looks much smaller than our 3 axle behemoth
I think sailors or sailboat manufacturers must have exageration itus in their numbers... I just can't seem to figure out which one it is.

Boat manufacturers stated weight is for the Bene 285 is 6160lbs... you are telling me your empty trailer weighs in at almost 4000lbs? Or some combination of 2000lbs of gear, tankage, and 2000lbs of trailer? Or worse the boat ways significantly more than 6160lbs? granted the tankage weighs in at something, but water is 8lbs/gallon, 30 gallon tank, 10 gallons of fuel? I am still only seeing about 400lbs total max including holding.

I've watched sailors launch the Nor Sea 27, and such, so its not only doable, but has been done... In our own club a gentleman self-launched a Hunter 27 (7100ish lbs)... and we have a Lancer 28, a Catalina 27 tall rig, and the list goes on. No crane, no travel lift... it's not great, but its been done.

Tri axle trailers I cannot figure out either, unless it's a stability thing. We have a horse trailer that's rated (with torsion axles mind you) for 16,000lbs, and it only has 2. In fact was looking at the "recommended upgrades" from Triad for their "heavy sailboats" line, and one was torsion axles. They typically put 5200lb axles on trailers this size, but had options for trailers much bigger with still only 2 axles. So Triad was erring on the side of a heavy 28 footer, by providing for roughly 9500lbs or so of load. I appreciate that kind of overkill... but just because the trailer says 10,000lbs, doesn't mean you are at the limit, and if you are even close, then you might wanna consider a bigger trailer.

So what's the scoop, not trying to say you are wrong, but has anyone thrown their rig on a scale, and what do these trailers weigh empty? My catalina Capri 25 trailer is right at 1000lbs, give or take 50. I think it was 940lbs wet when I pulled last year. Funny thing is my Capri 22 trailer weighed in at about 850lbs.

fuzzy

Jun 15, 2004
Are you accounting for 2115 lbs ballast? My trailer is a triple axle as the photos show. The photo you displayed is a much smaller vessel and trailer. The boat is winterized, we leave nothing on the boat except the mast and a full tank of diesel fuel. I also haul my boat over elevation 6250 ft on mountain road to Lake Tahoe. I don't feel comfortable with with a smaller trailer. I have been doing this trek for nearly 25 years. I use various rigs to pull the boat uphill, large V8's or diesels engine, 1 ton, that have significant pulling power

Attachments

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
Are you accounting for 2115 lbs ballast?
I believe displacement specs include ballast (although dry weight may/will be a bit different than displacement). So the trailer would be around 4K lbs if the boat was not overly laden.

Curious to see how this works out. Never thought about getting a trailer for Winter storage before, but the numbers being tossed around might provide an ROI after 3-4 seasons.