Benetea Oceanis 400 - problem furling Main Sail

Jan 17, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis Saint John
I have always have difficulty getting my main sail furled all the way into my mast. It unfurls fine but does not furl without significant pressure and winching

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If the unfurling goes fine I wonder if it's just a problem causing excess friction in the furler rig. Do you have much mast pre-bend or very high halyard tension? Neil Pryde has some helpful videos on YouTube if you haven't seen them. Search YouTube for "main furling neil pryde" and you should see a 4 part series. In the videos they show almost one handed furling. On our 37 we can't get it that smooth but we can manage it without a winch (although in a breeze the winch is still easier).

Jun 27, 2018
beneteau 45 oxnard marina
I've started taking tension off the halyard prior to furling and seems to help.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Was having same problem on my 373 - never had an in mast furling before. Was advised to use the topping lift to raise the outboard end of the boom to a 10-15 degree angle before furling. WHAT a difference!

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
@Newport Bob, I have a new-to-me 373, and while my furler never actually gets stuck, I do notice that it is way harder than I would expect to furl AND unfurl the mainsail. I've never used a furling mainsail before this boat, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'll have to try seeing if the topping lift helps. Mine's tough in BOTH directions... interestingly, I can UNFURL the main by walking up on the cabin-top and pulling the sail out with my hand on the clew with very little effort/friction (though that causes extreme luffing, since the outhaul is then very slack unless I've got enough hands on deck to help out... not to mention the inconvenience and safety concerns with walking up there to unfurl. I'll have to try the topping lift next time. Unfortunately my topping lift is pretty much the ONLY line I have that is cleated on the mast rather than running back to the cockpit. So far I haven't really done ANYTHING with the topping lift other than just leave it trimmed in/up enough to keep the boom off my bimini and dodger. Haven't touched it since raising the sails for the first time in the spring. Do you use your outhaul when UNfurling?

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Todd,
Your experience sounds exactly like mine. Yes, I had found the same when pulling the sail out. I now raise the boom for both furling and unfurling. Not presently onboard but if I remember correctly I was able to change a halyard to the mast to get the topping to the cockpit.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
@Newport Bob, I'm definitely trying that next time I'm out sailing... unfortunately I have plans that keep me off the boat for the next two weeks, but I'm absolutely trying the topping lift trick, and if that works, I'm running the topping lift line back to the cockpit instead of a spinnaker halyard (I never use my spinnaker anyway) which is way less useful (for me). I'm not sure how much topping lift line I have coiled up at the mast which might determine whether that needs to be rerouted, or replaced entirely, but if it makes a big difference, I'd happily buy a new, longer line. I'll report back in a couple weeks. Thanks.

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
To properly unfurl the main so that it's easy and the sail is properly set, the boom has to be able to go wherever it needs to go. This means the mainsheet and the boomvang have to be uncleated and loose. Once everything is loose, if there's a decent wind, the main will actually unfurl itself. If not, there's strain somewhere and the first place to look is mast bend.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
To properly unfurl the main so that it's easy and the sail is properly set, the boom has to be able to go wherever it needs to go. This means the mainsheet and the boomvang have to be uncleated and loose. Once everything is loose, if there's a decent wind, the main will actually unfurl itself. If not, there's strain somewhere and the first place to look is mast bend.
That is my experience as well. I was shown that approach by the folks at Annapolis Yacht Sales and it works much better. With a loose sheet and vang, the boom can rise and fall as needed according to the natural tension on the leech when furling and unfurling. The topping lift doesn't need to do the heavy lifting; the sail will.

Jun 27, 2018
beneteau 45 oxnard marina
Newport Bob, I tried using the boom lift about 5 degrees and it did help. Thanks for the idea. I've used mclube on every spot I could think of but not much help. I always slack the boom vang and main sheet also.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Had same problem, installed new furling rope, if it swells,which mine did it rubs in behind the drum.I also changed the 6mm(.250") balls from derlin which had flats on them to torlon balls. I uncleat boom vane and loosen mainsheet,the sail now pulls out almost on its own and furls no problem. The last 2 years more than half the time I had to get out and help the sail out.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I also changed the 6mm(.250") balls from derlin which had flats on them to torlon balls.
That's the bearings on the outhaul car, correct? Where did you order the replacement bearings? I am starting to have problems again with my main, have to use the winch to furl & unfurl now. Have to start from the beginning and retune the
rig and look at reducing friction in the system.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
That's the bearings on the outhaul car, correct? Where did you order the replacement bearings? I am starting to have problems again with my main, have to use the winch to furl & unfurl now. Have to start from the beginning and retune the
rig and look at reducing friction in the system.
Correct on the outhaul car, I ordered them from" The Binnacle" they are made by Harken just search Torlon. The outhaul end caps were held by screws into the alum. which were stripped. I drilled and tapped for 4 x 10-24
stainless cap screws

Last edited:

twx

Jan 20, 2013
Beneteau 40cc Clear Lake Shores
This is great information. I would just add consider the age of your sail. Older sails tend to “fluff” inside the mast.
Good luck.