Bene 321 Stern growth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 24, 2010
Beneteau 321 Edgewater, MD
The 321 sugar scoop is designed in such a way that the bottom lip rests in the water if the water tanks are empty or there is any significant weight in the stern. Here is a 321 I pulled from the internet -

There is a rubber rail that covers the edge that gets covered with growth if not moved through the water with relative frequency.

I want to raise the waterline for the bottom paint at the stern, but I don't think bottom paint will stick to the rubber rail cover. I have seen a few people with cats that look like that have painted over the rubber, but I am not sure.

Has anyone done anything with their 321 (or similar boat with a similar problem), or is this something that I just have to live with? I don't like to sail with the water tanks full unless I am going somewhere and I have moved everything I can from the back of the boat to the front.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The 323 i have do0es the same thing. I paint the rubber with bottom paint.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have no problem with bottom paint flaking off the vinyl/rubber or whatever it is. I got some VC17 on the edges of the rub strip about 4 years ago and it has not come off yet. I just left it there because it wasn't doing any harm and was not visible. As far as the area above the waterline, I just scrub it with a brush once a week.There is no stain . It probably helps that I am not in salt water.

Status
Not open for further replies.