Ben Huff Sailing Wrangler

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Ben Huff docked his Cherubini Hunter 30 next to us this spring. Turns out he is getting ready to solo the west half of the Great Loop on his way to the Bahamas!

He sets out Monday, and his family and girlfriend are here for the weekend to see him off. Quite some excitement for all.

You can see Ben's plans and follow him here as he takes off for Chicago via Mackinac:

The Admiral and I wish him fair winds and following seas.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I hope he has a great trip - no pun intended... maybe...

dj

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
A concern for Ben:
Having the propane tanks inside the cockpit locker may be dangerous, as the valve, gas line or solenoid could leak, flooding the cabin with gas.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great loop is one of those bucket list trips. Not for the faint of heart. Sailing solo to Chicago will be fun. Dropping the mast on a 30ft sail boat to slip under the bridge will be interesting. Navigating the rivers south with a 5.25 ft draft and drifting sand bars may be frustrating (have BoatTow on speed dial- nothing like Beating your feet in the Mississippi Mud).
And that's just the beginning.
May fair winds and deep channels great your boat on t

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
He's not a hippy (hippie?). He's a red neck. No offense. :biggrin:
Well, I can sure see where your head is at, I was thinking of the "great" as in great loop....

dj

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Well, I can sure see where your head is at, I was thinking of the "great" as in great loop....

dj
Ah, the vagaries of the internet.
Why would he leave Cedar Point?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Navigating the rivers south with a 5.25 ft draft and drifting sand bars may be frustrating (have BoatTow on speed dial- nothing like Beating your feet in the Mississippi Mud).
I have the '77 version of that boat. Hopefully Ben's '78 is the 4 foot shoal draft like mine. Fair Winds, Ben. Man, I'm envious.
Ben, on your trip down the Gulf Coast, if you happen to put in at Tarpon springs or Clearwater, shoot me a PM. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hopefully Ben's '78 is the 4 foot shoal draft like mine.
When I watched his video, My thoughts exactly... A couple years ago I read a story about 2 college grad girls who's fathers helped them take off on a 24ft sailboat for their post college experience. Started off in Lake Michigan and did the Great Loop. Now they visit yacht clubs telling their story. The rivers presented a number challenges to their adventure.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Good for Ben. That is an awesome project! I wish him well. However, as posted earlier, that propane system has to go along with the storing of bbq bottles down below. There are alternatives available.