Belt

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
This should have been easy, but easy is not a term used often on a boat. Went to change the water-pump impeller, and said to self, you have this off, so it a great time to change the belt also. (seeing a hose passes through the belt. So, I take the factory marked Universal belt out of it sleeve and put it on. Go to tension the belt and the alternator goes to the full extent of the slot and stops. Guess what, I can still take the belt on and off.

Long Story short - anyone know the proper belt length and number the dealer sure didn't get it right when he supplied the part.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I don't know if you found the right part yet but the Universal Part No. is 30475 and they cost about $19 from a Universal/Westerbeke dealer.

I have not looked for an non-marine equivalent. I would be interested if anyone has found one.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Aug 24, 2009
JK - is this the right size from experience or from the parts list? Reason I ask is because that is the part number on the package for the one I tried to put on that is way to big. (well, can't be tightened) Of course it does not mean that the package was not mismarked.

Russ

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
From experience. I order it every year from Hanson Marine and have two spares on the boat.

Mine is not loose at all. You have to loosen the top bolt on the alternator and then really push to compress the hose that runs behind the alternator to get the belt off or on.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I don't know if you found the right part yet but the Universal Part No. is 30475 and they cost about $19 from a Universal/Westerbeke dealer.

I have not looked for an non-marine equivalent. I would be interested if anyone has found one.

Fair winds,

Jesse
Napa. Gates belts. Don't pay marine prices, please...

If you have read the link I provided, you will deduce that each boat is different. Over the years I have used all three with different alternators.

The hose under the alternator, your clearnace to port, your mounting bracket, and your tension (you do have a tensioning tool, right?) will determine which is the right belt. Once you figure it out, buy a few ($15 at Napa) and throw all the rest of them away. The ones that came with the alternator bracket kit for M25s didn't work for anyone I knew.

Aug 24, 2009
Stu,

Read, reviewed, appreciated the help - called local and I don't have a local NAPA but was able to get for $17.00 from O'Reilly auto parts store --- Thanks

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA

Fair winds,

Jesse
A few years ago, I took my Universal belt to Napa and purchased a few belts the same size. They didn't last very long, and created a lot of belt dust. I'm still trying to clean the engine compartment. Turns out the V of the belt wasn't correct. I went back to Catalina Direct for new belts and they work 100% better. Definitely wasn't worth the few dollars I saved.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Tom, the trick is to choose the correct belts. Any old belt, even the right size won't do, as you've found out. Napa sells Gates belts, among the best. I think Maine Sail may have written up some that are even better.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Tom, the trick is to choose the correct belts. Any old belt, even the right size won't do, as you've found out. Napa sells Gates belts, among the best. I think Maine Sail may have written up some that are even better.
Some folks have suggested "Top Cog" belts. the "cut blocks" for lack
of better term on "regular" belts are on the inside. On Top Cog belts
the inside of belt is smooth with "cut blocks" on outside of belt. Supposed
to give better grip. Installed one on my C30 year ago and performed
very well.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Right now, money isn't the big concern. We just sold the house and started living aboard full time and this cut our expenses significantly so we can build the cruising kitty. So I am not being as cheap as I could be on maintenance parts.

As we build up spares and get ready to head out cruising I plan to be cheaper and look for better alternatives. But the belt was not one that seemed worth it to me. If you have the right belt it can last years. When I purchased my boat in 2010 it still had the original belt after 9 years and 500 hours on the engine. I check it for wear a couple times a month and check the tension (old fashion way with a ruler not a tool, maybe I should get the tool). If it wasn't for a mistake I made with my new water pump I would probably still be on the same belt. But I had excess wear due to that error. So given the relatively small cost difference, ~$5, and the potential to have less life from choosing the wrong belt I would likely just stick with the OEM.

I will likely stick with the OEM for the drive belt, oil filter, fuel filter, and impellers. Other items I am willing to look for quality aftermarket parts. Impellers seem to be iffy for aftermarket ones and the cost savings is fairly small. On the oil and fuel filters I had read that the aftermarket ones were not built as well but plan to do some more research before I really decide.

Just my thoughts.