Below deck disassembly problem

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
Ok so I have a 2002 Hunter 356. I have done all upgrades myself over the years. From engine disassembly to refrigeration install, etc. Today since we re stuck in a WI slip for 1 more day I thought this is the best time to install my long awaited battery system monitor gage. I want it to be located at the nav station of course. And of corse the batteries are in the deep locker in the cockpit with the head / vanity compartment between them. So I proceeded to drop down the main dc panel at the nav station and then removed all trim around the 1st port light to facilitate removing the big plastic garnish panel that ties into the soft vinyl ceiling panels. This would permit clear access for my fish tape to pull conductors between the battery bank and the area I wanted to mount the new gauges in. The problem is I cannot remove the garnish panel from the vinyl roof sections. I’m not sure if it snaps off or what. I did not want to break it. If anyone out there has done this procedure before I’m all ears thank you.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
I’ve been watching this thread for the past couple days and I’d also be very interested to see if there are tricks for this. I’ve got a 2004 Hunter 306 which is a smaller scale model of the 356 with similar production, and I’ve got a variety of deck leaks and fixed window leaks to take care of. I put in a nominal effort at removing the plastic side panel i think you’re referring to, but likewise stopped before I broke anything. Sorry I don’t have any constructive info, but wanted to bump the thread.

Jun 17, 2012
Thank you Pepin. I’m doing the same-waiting. Eventually I will figure it out. I don’t usually give up.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
I also have a 356 and a shiny new Balmar battery monitor that I've yet to install. The Hunter build documentation says that the battery cables go through a PVC pipe from the cockpit locker to the battery switch. I haven't looked for it yet, but I don't recall seeing it when I had the battery switch off.

I'm confused as to why you're going up to the headliner to get from the nav station to the cockpit. I was thinking under the floor as the first option. If that didn't work, I might try running it through or next to the PVC pipe that all the helm instruments run through at the back side of the locker.

Jun 17, 2012
Karellen,
well we are sorta thinking alike. The PVC conduit I was observing ran from port locker thru behind the bath vanity ceiling panel trim and continues to a hole at the top shelf above the fuse panel behind the plastic garnish trim panel. I did not inspect the area behind the battery switch…but I will-thanks. P.S. we used to live in Folsom and sail in SF bay too…

Jan 5, 2017
I've ran a few wires through the conduit you're referring to. A SeatalkNG cable and more recently an ethernet cable for a new radar. My process for that conduit is to attach the wire to some fish tape and start in the cockpit side. It's a challenge, but it's then possible to reach through a hole in the cabinet behind the electrical panel and pull out the new cable. I suggest a helper with small-ish hands -- I can get my XL hands in the hole but had trouble pulling down the wire once I got my fingers on it.
Funny, we did the opposite... we used to live in Wisconsin and sail the Great Lakes.

Jan 5, 2017
Made some progress today. Decided to use the conduit at the back of the electrical panel to the cockpit locker (above the locker shelf.) Was able to fish the Balmar cable along with a battery temp sensor cable from the cockpit forward to the electrical panel. Did it the same way I mentioned before, except this time I was able to get my XL hand just enough into the hole to pull down the wire and fish tape while I had a helper feed from the cockpit.
That's all the further I made it today. Now I have to decide whether to drop straight down to the battery or go all the way to the aft bulkhead and come up underneath the floor. I'm leaning towards the latter since the cable is long enough and it would look a little cleaner.

Jan 5, 2017
Thought I'd give a final update on this as I'm about 99% done. Hope it helps. The only thing left to do is zip tie the wires, which I haven't done yet because I'm waiting for an extension on the other cable (battery temperature probe).

From the nav station out the PVC pipe in the cockpit locker:
Screenshot 2021-08-17 095119.png

Back to the rear bulkhead in the locker:
Screenshot 2021-08-17 095135.png

Down the hole in the corner:
Screenshot 2021-08-17 095148.png

Up the same hole as the battery cables and into the shunt:
Screenshot 2021-08-17 095219.png

And the battery gauge. Had to order a 53mm (2.08") hole saw.

Screenshot 2021-08-17 095052.pngScreenshot 2021-08-17 095036.png

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Nice install. That's always been a problem area on my 2009 H36. The wire conduits are pretty much full, and even electricians have had real trouble pulling new wire thru from the cockpit locker to the nav station.