Being towed experience

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
So, it finally happened. I had to bite the bullet and call Sea Tow. I think I could fixed my issue (a fuel filter problem) but my daughter was on board with our grandkids (one who is 10 months) so rather than bob around just outside our busy channel, while I putter around on the engine, we called the cavalry.

A few observations; the Sea Tow folks could not have been nicer. They ensured everyone on board was safe and had PFDs on (they already did) and that we were safely anchored (we were) and gave us an update on when they would arrive. It was barely a half hour wait and the captain of the tow boat was outstanding. He had us back in our slip in no time.
Now, the bad, folks, a tow boat with a vessel in tow, is a vessel with restricted movement and has right of way even over a vessel under sail. I was dismayed to see how many skippers do not understand this basic rule of road. I expect the smaller power boats to be clueless but there were a number of 30' plus sailboats just as clueless.
After being the boat being towed I truly understood just how restricted this captain's boat's movement were. So please, if you see a boat being towed give the poor Sea Tow or Tow Boat guy a break and plenty of room. Don't try to race in front of him while under sail.

Okay, rant over. Now on to that fuel filter..........

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Actually a towing vessel does NOT have any special rights, UNLESS it is showing the lights or dayshapes for a vessel "restricted in ability to maneuver". I doubt any towing vessel of the Sea tow or Towboat US type ever does. But are correct in that the average pleasure boater wouldn't know what the signals meant anyway.
Towboat are authorized to carry the alternating red and yellow "Public Safety" light, but it does not convey special rights either. I carried one on my towboat, and most people would give way, but they are not required to do so.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Actually a towing vessel does NOT have any special rights, UNLESS it is showing the lights or dayshapes for a vessel "restricted in ability to maneuver"
Could be.

But how about some BASIC COURTESY?:deadhorse::yikes::poke::):):)

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Speaking of fuel filter...

We were all set to head out on our first sail of the season, but the 15 hp diesel didn't seem to be able to get up full rpms when in gear (I tested while still tied up). It could gradually rev up in neutral, but not in gear, even after warming up for 10+ minutes. A neighbor was walking down the dock and we got to talking about it, and he told me it was definitely a fuel filter... Urrgh! Something else new to learn about. At least I know how to do it now!

2 hours later we got in the first sail.

And thankfully I didn't head out and then need SeaTow to get home!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There is no longer any vessel that has the right of way under the ColRegs. Y'all need to stop thinking in those terms. It's not about rights but responsibility, now.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hypotheically speaking, should someone disrespect the fact a boat is being towed and damages and injury should occour to those on the boat being towed because of the stupidity of one not giving way, then a viable claim will occur and it will paid.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
There is no longer any vessel that has the right of way under the ColRegs. Y'all need to stop thinking in those terms. It's not about rights but responsibility, now.
Sounds like semantics to me. Call if a "right", "rule" or "responsibility" under normal circumstances we should give way to a vessel under tow is the way I read it. And as I said, I now know first hand just how restricted one of these Sea Tow boats is with a 30' sailboat in tow. This is from the current ColRegs from the USCG website:

RULE 18 Responsibilities Between Vessels Except where Rules 9, 10 and 13 otherwise require: (a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of: (i) a vessel not under command; (ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver; (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing; (iv) a sailing vessel. (b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of: (i) a vessel not under command; (ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver; (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing. (c) A vessel engaged in fishing when underway shall,

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Sounds like semantics to me.
I seriously doubt that all the folks who draft revisions of the ColRegs every few years would have bothered to change the wording if it was just semantics.
And thanks for posting that bit of the regs, but you could have saved yourself the trouble. I make my living operating boats and have done for over 50 years. I think I've got a handle on the wording, and intent of the ColRegs.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sounds like semantics to me.
Its not just semantics at all.

In racing, a boat has rights or 'right of way', and it means that (within obvious limitations) that it can do what ever it wants.

This is not the case in COLREGS... where in racing it would be ROW, a boat here is 'stand on', and is obligated to behave in a orderly, expected manner so the other boat can anticipate how to stay clear.

Its totally different.

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
Hey Chrisings, explain again the part (b)(i) a vessel not under command, I would certainly expect it to give ME the right of way!

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Hey Chrisings, explain again the part (b)(i) a vessel not under command, I would certainly expect it to give ME the right of way!
I think I would stay well clear of a vessel not under command.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Actually a towing vessel does NOT have any special rights, UNLESS it is showing the lights or dayshapes for a vessel "restricted in ability to maneuver". I doubt any towing vessel of the Sea tow or Towboat US type ever does. But are correct in that the average pleasure boater wouldn't know what the signals meant anyway.
Chrising's question and Captjgw response above caused me to actually look up the definition of "vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver" to see if towing was covered (it is: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent#rule3), and the required day shapes for both Towing (Rule 24) and Restricted (Rule 27):
(b) A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver, except a vessel engaged in mineclearance operations, shall exhibit:
(i) three all-round lights in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these lights shall be red and the middle light shall be white;
(ii) three shapes in a vertical line where they can best be seen. The highest and lowest of these shapes shall be balls and the middle one a diamond.
(iii) when making way through the water, a masthead light(s), sidelights and a sternlight in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 27(b)(i);
(iv) when at anchor, in addition to the lights or shapes prescribed in Rule 27(b)(i) and (ii), the light, lights, or shapes prescribed in Rule 30.
I assume that if you do not display the lights or ball-diamond-ball day shape, you cannot claim that you are stand-on as Restricted. Most recreational tow boats that I have seen do display a yellow towing light for night use, but there is no day shape for smaller tows. Does towing imply Restricted, or must the tow boat display Restricted shapes or lights to claim that? How do the professionals (looking at you as well, Capta) answer? I'm not disagreeing that for prudent seamanship and courtesy, we should give plenty of room to towed vessels, just wondering about 'rules'.

Last edited:

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
So, it finally happened. I had to bite the bullet and call Sea Tow. I think I could fixed my issue (a fuel filter problem) but my daughter was on board with our grandkids (one who is 10 months) so rather than bob around just outside our busy channel, while I putter around on the engine, we called the cavalry.

A few observations; the Sea Tow folks could not have been nicer. They ensured everyone on board was safe and had PFDs on (they already did) and that we were safely anchored (we were) and gave us an update on when they would arrive. It was barely a half hour wait and the captain of the tow boat was outstanding. He had us back in our slip in no time.
20150412_174842.jpg

Been There Done That :stupid:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Capta is right, of course, but I can't help but think "here we go again".

Popcorn, please.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A few observations; the Sea Tow folks could not have been nicer.
I had the radio on and was amazed how quickly and pleasantly they were responsive to a powerboat that grounded in Barnegat Inlet on Sunday.
I was on the brink Sunday afternoon, too. We had 6 miles to go home and very little wind. The impeller appears to be failing as water flow thru the exhaust was very weak. Sue was pissed because I could not find the spare on the boat (where it belongs :doh:) and she was looking forward to a shower. I told her it's a sailboat and we're sailing home. I figured the wind would strengthen as we got closer to the west shoreline (thermals kick in) and it did. We got home plenty fast and the entire sail was actually quite nice with a building sea breeze on our port side the entire way! But I was reluctant to turn the engine on and we had a narrow channel to navigate. Sue said Sea Tow and I said "no". I'm the captain so I win, but not in the eyes of public opinion. We sailed the 1st leg on a reach with just a scrap of head sail. Going into the dogleg, I had to turn the engine on because we were pointing too high. But less than 5 minutes later at idle cruising, we were in the slip with no harm, no foul, so the car trip home was pleasant, anyways. (Sue was down below when Sea Tow passed us less than 1/4 mile from our channel ... I told her later). The impeller is overdue anyway and Saturday morning, I know what I'm doing.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
As a tow boat captain I wish every other vessel on the water was as afraid of tow boats and their barges as I am, especially in confined waters. Suffice it to say it can be a roller coaster ride just on the edge of control. One little change in circumstances and it all goes to sh*t in a hurry and if anyone's in the way, too bad. Ask any tow boat captain, down bound with a bunch of current behind him, on an inland waterway.
I would have to agree that if the proper day shapes or lights are not displayed then a vessel may not claim the privilege, but what small craft sailor would pick a fight with a tug and barge on a technicality?
However, and I love this one, the International Code of Signals flag D, delta, also means "Keep clear of me; I am maneuvering with difficulty." So I suppose a clued in skipper could run that up the old flag pole and choa, sort of. Not that most on the water would even notice that little blue and yellow flag flapping above the bridge.
For those unfamiliar, check out the The International Code of Signals. Each flag has a meaning and I'll bet you've actually seen some of them in use around you, if you sail with commercial traffic.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I have always wondered if all state regs on the water to those acting as skippers/captains were tied to their drivers liscenses were issued tickets that would reflect on their driving records as well with insurance going up and so on, would we have more safe skippers/captains vs. the idiots who have no respect for common sense, safety and rules of the road?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I have always wondered if all state regs on the water to those acting as skippers/captains were tied to their drivers liscenses were issued tickets that would reflect on their driving records as well with insurance going up and so on, would we have more safe skippers/captains vs. the idiots who have no respect for common sense, safety and rules of the road?
I was under the impression that at least things like DUI's were tied to state DL's.
I'm pretty sure the same as*ho*es who are rude and unsafe on the water are exactly the same on the roads. I don't see much difference between those driving a boat with their middle finger extended to all and road rage.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
You all know that none of the people making wakes next to towed vessels, showing road-rage, or going out without a safe vessel have ever (1) taken a boating safety course, (2) considered the impact of their wake, or (3) read a boating forum or magazine. They just don't care. The water is a playground, like going to the beach or the golf course. What could possibly happen? Our (collective) problem is reaching these people. Perhaps mandatory licensing and training is required, even though I personally hate those things as government intrusion in my life. It's doubtful that lawsuits will do anything. I've been shaken up by wakes, but no damage or injury (so far). Ideas?

Last edited: