behind the curtain

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
For those of you that are curious about the type of things I do to keep the board running smoothly, here are some photos from my latest administrative task.

The server that I am using doesn't have a lot of resources, I used old, small hard drives when I set it up. They didn't have enough room for backup. I just got a good deal on a new 160GB hard drive and bought it to add to the system so that I can do backups from the other drives to this one.

Here are the pics of me:
1) waiting for everyone to log off so that they don't see an error message or page not found message while it is off
2) going out to the garage where I have the server and installing the new drive. I'm sure you'll recognize the woodwork stored nearby.
3) put the new drive in and restart

http://reno2.com/alden/images/949/Reno/20050123b/

Now I just need to setup the new drive, do some backups, and reboot one more time in the coming days.

For those of you wondering why my computer is on plywood hanging on the wall, well that's just me. I find it very convenient, it doesn't collect dust (open your computer case and look at the motherboard, but do it outside and with a can of compressed air), and I can hang it on the wall so that it doesn't take up space on the floor.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Good to see the brains behind this.

Nice job David. I am new to the website stuff. Verizon lost my site a while back and the pictures that were posted. When I post a pic, it will usually stay on the web for a few weeks. Unfortunatly, the lack of memory means I have to delete them after a few weeks. If anybody wants anything I posted I would be glad to send it to them in a jpg.

Here's a picture of me with my family in Bucks Harbor Maine. A great destination at the head of Penobscot Bay. The South Brooksville Store is just up the hill from the harbor. Everything you need to know in South Brooksville is tacked on the board outside. If you need more, you can get the New York Times as well.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofej4/site ... estore.jpg