Bedding teak components to cabin

Oct 16, 2017
Pearson 385 Pensacola
Catalina 22, #13255
Teak was bedded with a white flexible compound much like Life Caulk or another polysulfide because teak separated from cabin with no damage and moderate effort. Certainly, it was not 5200.
Now that I've repaired cracks, cleaned and varnished the teak I'm ready to re-install. I have experience with traditional bedding compounds like Interlux and Dolphinite and would rather use this compound over 3M4000UV or Life Caulk, if for no other reason than ease of removal for future repair and varnish. Your thoughts are most welcome.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Butyl tape would be my go to and I'd bet that was what was used previously.

Oct 16, 2017
Pearson 385 Pensacola
Good idea. Not certain about the existing compound except it was white, flexible and easy to remove with a sharp framing chisel. I'll look into your suggestion. Any reason why you'd steer away from Dolphinite or Interlux Boatyard Bedding Compound?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Good idea. Not certain about the existing compound except it was white, flexible and easy to remove with a sharp framing chisel. I'll look into your suggestion. Any reason why you'd steer away from Dolphinite or Interlux Boatyard Bedding Compound?
Butyl tape doesn't make a mess.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
SBO is very biased towards Bed-It butyl tape and for a few good reasons
-Super easy to work with and doesn't make a mess
-Easy to remove
-Rarely, if ever fails
-Lasts as long as... well, it's like fiberglass, the first examples have yet to fail

The only time I will ever use 4200 again is if it's below the waterline

Oct 16, 2017
Pearson 385 Pensacola
Thanks to all of you for your feedback. After I read the article presenting Bed It, I contacted the manufacturer directly. Based on our conversation, I agree on the versatility of Bed It for most applications. However, he warned me of use with teak for one main reason, fasteners. Ron (manufacturer representative) specifies the optimum fastener as being a through bolt, capable of torque and holding that torque in extreme conditions. Two key problems with teak are the type of fastener and fastener spacing. Teak is held in place on my Cat 22 with oval head wood screws, size #11 (13/64) or #10 (3/16) depending on how you measure, and finishing washers. Length of screw is 2" and 1.5" depending on location. Screw spacing is 10" on handrails and 16" on companionway hatch slides.
Now I think I understand why these two sets were bedded in something like Life Caulk or, most likely 3M101 (if what I encountered was the factory installation). My concern with Bed It, Dolphinite, or Interlux Boat Yard Bedding Compound is exactly what Ron mentioned--strength, especially in heavy weather. I'd hate to grab a handrail so sparsely fastened and lightly bedded in rolling seas, or have the hatchway tear loose in fresh winds. Please take a moment and let me know what you think, especially if you have removed and rebedded teak to fiberglass requiring high mechanical strength. Thank you, in advance, Stephen

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
I replaced a wood hatch slide this past week. I laid down a strip of my bed it tape to seal the screws. I pressed the wood into the tape before I drilled and added screws. I wanted to reposition the wood to accommodate the hatch slide. It was not easy to get it to move the "stick was tenacious" however; once I got it off it cleaned up in 30 seconds. I will NEVER use another product above the waterline again. I love it. I also used a tiny dot to hold washers in place while hand tightening the nuts when re-bedding stantions that were difficult to reach. I used it to hold a "french clips" that held vertical cushion in place on the bulkhead in place for alignment before adding screws. I used it to bed my new teak handrails. I would assume the tape keeps the water out and the fasteners hold everything together.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The fasteners should be holding the hardware not the sealant. It's advised to coutersink the bolt holes before adding Bed-It. A lot of it will squeeze out if you dont. Maine Sail has an article showing the difference. It is significant. In your case you could drill the countersink in the wood or fiberglass. I usually put the drill in reverse to reduce the chances of spider cracks. It takes 10-15 seconds in fiberglass. Dont forget that 5200 can pull gel coat off.