bedding material and sealing windows

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
I am overhauling a 1971 Mac 22,
Need to know the following:
1 Best way to seal swing keel pivot bolt and nut
2 What is the best coating or paint to use on the keel
3 What materials should I use to reseal window and how should I do it
4 What is the best material to use to bed and seal lifeline stanchions, and deck
hardware and fittings- I plan to use 1/8 inch stainless steel to back-up all deck hardware.

Who ever owned this boat applied 1/2" foam to the overhead cabin surfaces and covered it with vinyl, they also covered the port and starboard bulkheads wit 1/4" mat material and covered it with indoor/outdoor carpeting all held in place with contact cement. Was this done by the factory or someone that wanted to make it difficult to paint the interior????
:confused:

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
My opionon(s)

1=Isn't there a big rubber washer and fender washer on each side of the keel trunk?
2=Havn't had the pleasure yet - maybe next year.
3=Are these the old venture windows with the complex aluminum frames? We tried everything to get them to stop leaking. Finally ditched the frames entirely and glued new lexan to the window cutouts with Dow 795 and are done with it.
4a=Don't know if the overhead vinyl is factory or not - our venture has a cored ceiling (poptop).
4b=Yes - Macgregor had a real thing for gluing those 1970'sneon colored carpets everywhere inside the ventures, glued down with some nasty brown crap. Ours was blue. We no longer have any carpet or factory soft surfaces in our Venture thank goodness.

On a boat that age don't be afraid to rip out all that glued in carpeting and sand the glue stuff off and just paint it. The fiber glass finish on the interior of these old boats is quite rough so I went ahead and fared everything smooth and then painted (required SUBSTANTIAL elbow grease).

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I rebuilt an on Mac 22. I used plumbers putty to seal the windows. Strange... that is twice today that plumbers putty came up.

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
Thanks for the advise. These older boats look like they were hand laid-up fiberglas and look to be much stronger than "Chop-gun glass". I ave completely gutted the interior and being a finish carpenter have built new bulkheads and built a track system where a bunk was for a small child or dog I can slide out a galley and storeage lockers.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Interestingly enough there is a product expressly developed for bedding things on a boat. Windows, stanchions, you name it. It has been around a hundred years or more and actually works very well. It is cheap, easy to work with and very easy to clean up after using. And the name of this magic material? Bedding compound.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Interestingly enough there is a product expressly developed for bedding things on a boat. Windows, stanchions, you name it. It has been around a hundred years or more and actually works very well. It is cheap, easy to work with and very easy to clean up after using. And the name of this magic material? Bedding compound.
that is a good product and its one way to do bedding work.....but i like the butyl tape for ease of use and simplicity of application and i need no tools to install it plus it need not be thinned with chemicals or solvents....and clean up is very simple its also strong enough to hold in the worst of conditions been using it for years on structural windows and roof systems since about 1968 and have never had a problem with leaks ....one year i must have used a pallet load on a building.........