bedding hardware on 272

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
I'm rebedding my stanchions and cleats etc. there is a rubber gasket under half the tubes; can I eliminate and use boat life to make gasket or should i get some neoprene and replace? it's on a 272 and don't think ever done.
thanks

Paul

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it makes no difference the model of the boat...

the rubber gaskets will harden in time.

and rather than boatlife caulk, I would highly suggest using 3M 4000uv.. its uv stabile and ive used it a LOT with 100% satisfaction.
others have had excellent luck bedding stanchions and other hardware with butyl tape, but as i havent used it for bedding a deck fitting yet, i can only pass on what ive heard but no personal experience. check it out... but i wouldnt use the rubber gasket.

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
it makes no difference the model of the boat...

the rubber gaskets will harden in time.

and rather than boatlife caulk, I would highly suggest using 3M 4000uv.. its uv stabile and ive used it a LOT with 100% satisfaction.
others have had excellent luck bedding stanchions and other hardware with butyl tape, but as i havent used it for bedding a deck fitting yet, i can only pass on what ive heard but no personal experience. check it out... but i wouldnt use the rubber gasket.
thanks for getting back to me. I'll go with the 3m
Paul

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Get Butyl tape for this! Do it right and you'll only have to do it once. Countersink all the screw holes. See Maine Sails website for instructions and buy the tape from him.

Apr 2, 2014
Hunter 29.5 Long Beach, MS
Amen on the Butyl tape. It's been used for years and it will be as good when the deck fittings are removed as it was when they were installed.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yep…remove the old rubber gasket, clean the area under the hardware, and use butyl tape.

get the stuff from Maine Sail…I tried some of the Amazon stuff…not as good. And watch his video for application tips.

I am making my way around my O’Day 322 stanchions and deck hardware (mostly when stuff leaks).

Greg

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
At the risk of getting off on a tangent, is there an accepted method of accessing the stanchion bolts and then covering up the surgery (ovbiously not permanently)? I researched this years ago when I was first contemplating getting an O'day and there were lots of images around. Can't seem to find any today. While mine are exceptionally dry given the vessel's age, they have never been done and I need to get started.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
At the risk of getting off on a tangent, is there an accepted method of accessing the stanchion bolts and then covering up the surgery (ovbiously not permanently)? I researched this years ago when I was first contemplating getting an O'day and there were lots of images around. Can't seem to find any today. While mine are exceptionally dry given the vessel's age, they have never been done and I need to get started.
On my O’Day 322, I can get to the stanchion bolts up under the hull/deck lip. Follow the hull interior up right against the interior wall and see if you can feel the bolts under there. You will need a socket and extension (maybe 2 different lengths) to get on the nuts. In some cases, I needed an articulating knuckle to allow me to get in there. Lots of skinned knuckles and swearing.

Also, you need a way to hold the bolts from turning. I bought 4 pairs of vice grips, and I clamp on to all 4 bolts from the outside, then go inside and start trying to reach the nuts.

Getting them back together is even more fun, since are operating pretty much in the blind, trying to get the backing plate (at least mine has backing plates) back over the 4 bolts, hold it in place while trying to get at least one nut started to hold the plate up…always a lot of fun.

But it can be done with some perseverance. If you have a friend to hold the bolts…that works too, but they will quickly get bored waiting for you to get the nuts off or on…better provide some libations.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you must use 3M caulk, then the 4000 is the stuff as suggested by @centerline.

On the other side the suggestions about butyl as sold by @mainesail at his site. Marine How To - DIY for Boaters - Marine How To is an excellent choice for this project.

Follow the directions for the Countersunk/Beveled Hole and wrap the bolts with butyl. The reason butyl works in this application is that the stanchions are attached to the deck with fasteners. This provides a method to squeeze the butyl which should squeeze evenly out to seal the deck. Easy fast and less messy than 4000.

Both caulks work in this case. Your shipment from Compass Marine will be a couple of days. Excellent service.