Bedding compass

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have a Plastimo compass mounted on the plastic top of our steering pedestal. It seems like it was bedded with silicon or something similar. Since the compass needs to be removed at least annually to service the steering system, silicon doesn't seem like a great choice. To make matters worse the silicon is pretty well stuck to the compass. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to keep water from getting into the pedestal?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'd have a go with butyl tape. Particularly, because it will be easy to take apart annually. If you're not familiar with butyl tape, try marinehowto.com for information and the tape.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
4200 is a partial adhesive. All you need is a sealant. Use butyl. Good luck, thanks for the flix, helped us to help you.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You should buy your butyl tape from Main Sail ... right here on this forum

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape

He has "field tested" this stuff and it does the job. I just had two rolls arrive at my house Wednesday and I'm ready to attack all the leaks on my boat.

May 17, 2004
I do like the butyl idea. Any suggestions on what to do about the existing silicon that's stuck to the compass (plastic) before bedding?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
David, sillykone is a bear to remove. Acetone and some light sanding with a fine grade might work. The butyl should seal well even if there's some left. In some spots I put two layers of butyl down. Good luck.

Jan 6, 2010
David,

I made a one piece rubber gasket for mine. Call around to find the material. I would use 3/32" to 1/8" thk.
Remove the compass to use as a template. Now every time you need to service the steering,
the gasket will remain.

CR

May 17, 2004
Thanks for the ideas. I'll see how well I'm able to clear the silicon, and if it's still too rough to stick butyl I'll try the rubber gasket.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Captron's idea isn't bad and one easy way to make a gasket is to use masking tape to make a dam around the base of the compass, fill it in with goop and let it dry over night. I've done this with a pivot bolt on a swing keel and it worked great. See pics. If you look to the left of my thumb, you can see a washer with a tape dam and filled in with goop... the lower pic is the next day after I removed the outer dam.
gasket.jpg
gasket3.jpg