• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Beat the Heat

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The key to win is simple...

WATER
_______
After living most of my life South of Interstate 10, we have found many ways to enjoy the Heat of outdoors.

But...
I thought a good discussion on ways to "Beat the Heat" while sailing, at the marina, dockside, or just patio cookouts.
____
While Sailing...
We cool down using the "Evaporative Cooling effect" of Water.

It is the opposite of the Heat Index or Wind Chill.

This is the always soft cloth thing we use, and all guests aboard. The best brand and time tested...

Cooling Towels

We have 8 aboard in different colors [people sweat, so personalized], but got the them discounted by volume [10] ≈$5 each.
Don't get the ones with MicroFibers. These have mesh side [outward facing] to increase the cooling rate.
Also the length of the towel is key, we like the 40" size.

Share a few ways you can "Beat the Heat" while sailing...
Jim...

PS: If anyone is interested in how to use these, I explained it here...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RUCON6HXM398?ref=pf_ov_at_pdctrvw_srp

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks James, just ordered two to give them a try.
Recently, I have been waiting until around 6:30 in the evening to sail. Usually stay out until the sea breeze fades. Of course,
its important to stay hydrated, so I make sure that I have lots of bottled water on board in the fridge. Definitely looking forward to fall!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Another great idea Jim. Will definitely give it a try. Problem with Gator aid & similar drinks is way too much sugar/carbs. Big problem if your are diabetic or pre-diabetic. Checked the label on your drink and there are 0 carbs & 0 sugars.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I live in Texas, we find a little shade, some cold beer, and suck it up buttercup!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In the 21rst century we have air conditioners and generators. It beats wet towels hands down. The evaporative cooling effect of water works OK in dry air but when the air is already laden with moisture not much evaporation and cooling goes on. An effective remedy is the use of awnings, not so much for the shade, but the separation of direct sun heating of our decks by a layer of air at ambient temperature. An awning strung over the entire deck may keep the deck and cabin interior at a 90F ambient temperature rather than at 120F. An A/C unit paired with an awning can create a livable environment which might not be attained solely by the A/C unit.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
We’re slipped at the very end of the pier and have the great fortune of an 8 foot wide dock...perfect for a smaller EZ-up. Then we set up the Umbrimini over the cockpit and shade is made for up to eight over heated sailors.

D8E4ACDC-7AF2-4D87-8494-28617C2A5475.jpeg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If it is really hot, I will heave to and take a swim. We keep a rope hanging off the transom for an extra hand hold and can have several people in the water, jumping off the swim platform.

Someone stays at the helm to make sure the boat doesn’t sail away.

Water temp in my neck of the woods was 70 F this weekend, and air temp was pushing 95F. A dip in the lake was just what the doctor ordered.
0C5E87E3-A6FF-4BE8-912E-6B49812DAE12.jpeg

Greg

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If you are sweating a lot, I add these to bottled water. Helps keep the electrolyte balance right.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/10-Pack-...nk-Enhancer-Blue-Rasberry-1-62-fl-oz/47225174

Sugar free too.;)
Jim...

PS: That size is good for 24 bottles of water.
I think water would be much healthier, and "sports drinks" are a marketing scam:
Blue Raspberry Ingredients:
WATER, CITRIC ACID, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, SALT, MONOPOTASSIUMPHOSPHATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM AND SUCRALOSE (SWEETENER), NATURAL FLAVOR, NIACINAMIDE (VITAMIN B3), POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), PYRODOXINEHYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), BLUE 1, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, CALCIUM LACTATE, CYANOCOBALAMINE (VITAMIN B12).

Propylene glycol is used by the chemical, food, and pharmaceutical industries as an antifreeze when leakage might lead to contact with food. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food.

Monopotassium Phosphate is a soluble salt that is often used as a fertilizer, a food additive and fungicide. ... It is mainly used as an ingredient in emulsifying salts for processed cheese products, and a component in Gatorade and meat products.

Acesulfame potassium is a highly versatile artificial sweetener that is used in a wide range of foods and drinks. Unlike similar sweeteners (such as aspartame), it is stable when heated.
Sucralose bad for gut bacteria https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sucralose-good-or-bad#gut-health
Blue 1 - Linked to behavior problems and death https://cspinet.org/new/200806022.html
https://www.fda.gov/industry/medica...loration-and-death-patients-receiving-enteral

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Made from Sugar. Was developed by UK group from waste Orange peels.
They stick 3 sugar molecules together so it doesn't digest fast enough.
I love Splenda®
Jim....
Made it from something that was already bad for you. Didn't make it better for you. ;) Sweet doesn't beat heat.