Bbq differences between brands

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
hey everyone, looking at Bbq's for next season, I found a used Magma catalina for 250$can but I can get a new camco for 210$can
what is the main difference between the 2 brands? is magma really worth more? if so why?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It may depend on which Magma. We have the round one with the hinged lid and like it a lot better than we had the lid attached by a cable. It also lights much easier in the wind. We did change the gas regulator. Ours came with a high flow regulator and that was way too hot for most things even on low. If you cook steaks with the lid open, the high flow one may be better so we installed a low flow and kept the old regulator onboard as well. Once you factor in a new regulator and mounting hardware Magma isn't cheap.

Ken

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
IMHO all of the marine BBQs are grossly overpriced. I have had 3 of the Magna round units with the cable attached lid. They were hard to light, blew out easily, and difficult to clean.
My current BBQ is a Kuuma. It is rectangular and will fit two 1.75# lobsters. It has a robust cooking grate (compared to the Magna), easier to clean, doesn't blow out unless the gas is very low, and has a hinged lid enabling you to have both hands free to manipulate the food. It is still very expensive compared to a non-marine stainless steel home unit, but I think it is a much better value than the Magna. For instance, given the price I think it should have a push-button ignition, but it doesn't. I would recommend that you check out all of the available BBQs. Don't neglect looking at camping units- you may find them to be better for the money.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've been looking at this one at Home Depot

It has a lot of positive reviews. I've been working out in my head how to mount it to my stern rail in a safe and secure way that won't make it easy to steal.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have one of the Magmas with the wire attached lid. I find it is OK but will blow out easily if there is much wind.. say 15 miles per hour.. I have often thought that something like this:
with a rail mount (they sell one) would be better.. The Magma's one big thing is that it can be used underway because of the adjustable mount that allows it to be leveled when heeled.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I've been looking at this one at Home Depot

It has a lot of positive reviews. I've been working out in my head how to mount it to my stern rail in a safe and secure way that won't make it easy to steal.
I have one of these at home, but I bought it at BJ's. It is very robust in construction. Mine looks more wider than this one in the link, and I am not sure the brand is exactly the same, but it is a great grill. It is very large compared to the Kuuma or Magna and a suitable mounting would need to be devised. This one at HD many be smaller than what I have.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have one of the Magmas with the wire attached lid. I find it is OK but will blow out easily if there is much wind.. say 15 miles per hour.. I have often thought that something like this:
with a rail mount (they sell one) would be better.. The Magma's one big thing is that it can be used underway because of the adjustable mount that allows it to be leveled when heeled.
Claude-
This is the Kuuma BBQ that I have and I have used it for 5+ years. It does not blow out easily and the only part I have had to replace is the heat diffuser. I did move the handle from the sloping top to the vertical front panel because I tended to burn my arm on the lid when I reached over to close the lid. It wasn't a big deal- just two holes to drill. As for cooking while underway, I don't know anyone who does that.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
... As for cooking while underway, I don't know anyone who does that.
We occasionally heat up some toast or pop tarts (breakfast of champions) underway - e.g. when leaving the dock early to catch a tide, without time for a proper breakfast.

But only when motoring in benign conditions. I can't imagine cooking underway with any breeze (and definitely not with sails up). For me, that's too much risk of stumbling into a hot grill. Maybe for those more coordinated than I...

We're happy with our ~$200 rectangular Magma (not sure of the model; that was 6 or 7 years ago). But we don't really have anything to compare to - we might have been equally happy with a cheaper model. I am glad I made a tether for the regulator: Sailing and restoring #9874.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
We have a Magma kettle. It's the second one I've had. The current one came w/ the boat. I'd never volitionally buy one again. Save money.....get the Kuuma.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
just make sure the corn or hot dogs are positioned athwartship, otherwise when you open the lid some may escape overboard. If you are short tacking, and want to automatically turn the dogs.....well you get the picture.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
hey everyone, looking at Bbq's for next season, I found a used Magma catalina for 250$can but I can get a new camco for 210$can
what is the main difference between the 2 brands? is magma really worth more? if so why?
I can't speak to the Camco but happy with a small magma after 4 seasons of pretty hard use. As grills go, it stays lit in any condition we've used it. The lid stays put in any condition and there's no danger of it flopping around on a rail mount.

If you stow your grill like we do, when not in use, the simple one leg mount is especially easy in comparison to some. The small kettle size is perfect for two and goes several meals with one 1lb tank of propane.

After 3 seasons, the flame diffuser burned out. It was easy to get a replacement. Plenty of heat but controllable(must be the newer regulator).

Grilled lobster 1.jpg

This is the best part for our use: Easy to stuff in an old canvas tote bag and hang it out of the way under decks when not in use.

Port locker (1 of 1).jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have grilled underway several times but only on a boat with enough crew so that I could be at the grill 100% of the time.. Usually happened on what I called "adventure" sails.. where 4-5 guys would sail nonstop for a few days to get somewhere.. like crossing the Gulf of Mexico . The grilling was done in benign conditions. Other than those few times, I usually grill at anchor or in a slip..

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
In 1990 leased a Jenneau 29 with a grill somewhere I was told. When I had dinner ready to be cooked, couldn't find the grill. Went ashore and bought a portable Weber gas grill. I have been using that ever since. On the boat. In my Manhattan apartment on top of my stove (under the kitchen exhaust). On car trips. Still cooks a steak with a proper char after the veggies are done at low. It has swing legs that keep the grill away from the boat on top of the the seats. Even has a drip can to keep the boat clean. Can cook for 4 easily. Haven't used it lately as I only day sail. Use it for picnic's now.