Current forecast which I guarantee will change 5 times before the start shows 18-20kts on the stern on Saturday. We will see if we can plane. Could be interesting. Good luck and beat that other Legend 37
The forecast will definitely change. Different things will happen in different places, too. We had a squall come over up by the Manitous. Huge black cloud with flashes and ominous rumbles for about an hour. We took the sails down and furled them. First came a half inch of hail on deck, where it stayed for thirty seconds until the wind blew it all off. We were doing eight knots dead downwind with no sails up, and 50+ knots showing on the anemometer for about fifteen minutes. Then it blew itself out. We hoisted sails again and there was no wind for about three hours. Interesting weather.
Got the boat returned home yesterday morning, some wicked wind and waves on Friday!
Looks like @Jumpstart and @Marmalade had our challenges in the race. Nice 9hrs of downwind at the start. Pole back with the a-kite worked well. With the storms and rough weather, Marmalade pulled into a small lead on the course by sunset Saturday night, only to see the wind go forward to a tight reach/beat. Rig was set too loose, couldn’t keep-up overnight. Might have been able to secure a 5th or 6th if we followed the leaders home the last 1/4 of the race, but instead Tried a few go-for-broke moves… none worked and settled in 8th with light & flukey wind around Boris Blanc.
Oh well, safe and fast race, and lots of good family time on the island. Our 4yr old made the return trip home, and had a blast with dad and Papa. So that made it even better.
Only 349days until next years race! Until then, I’ll keep this picture in mind… and work on getting rig tension right for next year!
Pretty much same as Marmalade. We went left after start with our A1.5. Great boatspeed but could not sail as deep as symmetrical boats. Gybed out as we reached Michigan shore and kept going right to miss approaching storm. Kept A1.5 up to long as winds went to 19kts true. We were going steady 10s,11s with a high of 13kts boat speed. Feeling pretty good as we got east of rhumb line and were surrounded by some TP52s. We gybed back and disaster hit. We were doing 11 knots and the spinnaker came around easily. The main came over next. Just at that moment a large wave hit us and spun the boat to weather on the new gybe the spin filled abruptly and drove us into a mondo broach. I was driving and now on the low side, I had a wave break over my head tearing my hat off and hat clip. Swallowed a few qts of water. The boat popped up with the main released. Unfortunately no not knot on the mainsheet and the line ran out. We dusted our selves off, put up a headsail, retrieved the spinnaker, and re ran the mainsheet. An hour later we put up our sacrificial small A2. It was 25 years old and hadn't been used used in years. We hit 16 knots boat speed right before it blew up into numerous pieces. The remnants blew back into the boat as the boat was still going fast for a short time. When we reached Thunder Bay we were behind quite a bit to the boats that stayed to the left side of the course.. We recovered a bit to going to weather to finish ninth