Bayfield 25 Updating/ Restoring Tips?

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
Hey all,

So I recently acquired a '74(?) Bayfield 25 that's definitely seen better days. So far I've redone the electric, had the Yanmar 1GM10 rebuilt, reconditioned the exterior trim and am in process of refinishing the cabin. I guess, what I want to know is what everyone else has done to theirs, or more so what people think needs to be done to make the boat better than it once was? I was looking into adding an access hatch in the cockpit floor so I can better get to the engine as well as replacing the solid fiberglass hatch forward of the mast with a newer, vented windowed hatch.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi, Matt. Great boat. Congratulations. There was one up on Clear Lake, California, years ago when we had our Catalina 22. Lovely boats.

Good job on the engine. Be VERY careful about adding a cockpit access hatch. The "best" one I've seen or heard of is from a Crealock or Pacific Seacraft, maybe the one Nigel Calder had. Like everything else in life, the devil is in the details. Although I'd guess you won't be going offshore, wherever you live it's bound to rain some day (drought in California makes me say this! :)). How does the water get out from under the lip is the first question I'd ask. Next: do you have trouble getting to the dipstick?

replacing the solid fiberglass hatch forward of the mast with a newer, vented windowed hatch
Before you do this, consider this: the earlier versions of my boat came with a solid hatch. Later versions came with a clear one and the VERY FIRST THING skippers did to those was to fashion Sunbrella covers to keep the light OUT! :yikes: If you wanna sleep in after the sun comes up, maybe not such a good idea to do that. :poke: I can sleep until 1000 with the hatch closed. If I need light, I use a flashlight. Or open the hatch. Since we don't get a lotta rain..........:wahwah::wahwah::wahwah:

All the best, glad you found us.:)

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
Hi Stu,

Thanks for your reply! You definitely make some good points that I need to consider. I am situated on the Great Lakes a few miles south of Niagara Falls. The season tends to be pretty mild but usually pretty rainy. Please feel free to borrow some of that rain! My idea with the cockpit hatch is because the only access I have right now to the engine is a 18"x18" door under my companionway that I can only reach my Oil Fill and Fuel Filter from. The dipstick is tucked just far enough out of reach that I had to use an inspection mirror just to find it. If I were to ever need to service the engine I couldn't reach it. If I were to have a flush mounted hatch in the cockpit floor I shouldn't have to worry too much about drainage. I have two drains in there right now and I would seal the hatch frame with 3M 5200.

In terms of the forward hatch I don't think I'm too worried about sunlight getting in. I see sleeping aboard as the same vein as camping. I'll end up waking with the sun anyway. I'm more concerned with turning the cabin into more of a greenhouse and it baking in there. It gets pretty hot down there as is. My other thought would be to drill in some solar vents to circulate the air better.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
would seal the hatch frame with 3M 5200.
Nope, don't do it. 5200 we call Satan's Glue around here. The only place it should be used is the hull to deck joint. Use Maine Sail's butyl tape. You need a sealant, NOT an adhesive.

May 10, 2016
Bayfield 25 Buffalo, NY
Nope, don't do it. 5200 we call Satan's Glue around here. The only place it should be used is the hull to deck joint. Use Maine Sail's butyl tape. You need a sealant, NOT an adhesive.
Well ok then! No Adhesives. Easy enough. :laugh: