Bavaria Liveaboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pamela

My partner and I are considering a Bavaria 42 to live on full time (8 months of the year)and use to sail around New England area. Does anyone have comment on Bavaria as a liveaboard? We are low key sailors, for enjoyment and local waters mostly, not racing or performance oriented, but safety and comfortability are primary concerns. we love the layout of the 42 (it suits my two children I have 1/2 time and need room for), and I've heard great things about their solidity. Please offer any advice that you think might help our decision. We would not be purchasing for a while, but would like to compare our options. Thank you!

N

Nashira

Livaboard

G'day, We have a Bav Ocean 40 which could be lived on without problems. The 42 being slightly larger should give you even more space. The boats are very well found, comfortable and a joy to sail.

P

Pamela

Thanks!

Thanks for the note. Are you an aussie? My best friend lives down in Sydney!

J

James

Our Experience

Hi Pamela We have a Bav 39 which has an almost identical layout to the 42 We lived aboard for 2 months with two small children (then 5 and 3) The key for us was what we took with us and what we left behind for the kids and a few rules about the toys they took (not the exceptionally noisy one) Overall it worked great without any major issues at all mind you it was only two months!? Good luck with it

P

Philippe WINES

Living aboard a Bav.37 for the last 5 years

Hi there, My wife and I left the UK in 2002 and lived aboard our 37 for 5 years and sailed to Argentina via France, Portugal, Madeira,Canary Islands, Cape Verde Islands,Brazil, Uruguay and then Argentina. Our route backfrom Argentina took in Uruguay, Brazil, French Guiana and the West Indies. We are now back in the UK. Our life aboard was pretty good although two people is enough on a 37! With a 42 your family should be OK. We did not modify our boat at all with the exception of having an inner forestay installed for a storm-jib; a wind generator and a small solar panel. The boat, Why Not?, stood up very well to five years of sailing in the tropics. Our only moans were to do with the Lewmar hatches and portlights which all deterioated in the UV and were leaky. If you want more details let me know.

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
Liveaboards in our area

There are a number of Bavaria yachts with live-aboard couples on them, at least in the warm months. One, in my area is a new Bavaria 40-Vision. I am also acquainted with a couple cruising (Atlantic) on a 39, and another on a 42. There are several stories from these folks, and others, on our website

J

JOHN MITTINGTON

BAV 42

I BROUGHT A BAVARIA 3 YEARS AGO, I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF OWNING IT, BUILT VERY WELL,GREAT SAILING AND GREAT STOWAGE,ONLY SOLD IT RECENTLY,ONLY TO MAKE WAY FOR THE BAVARIA 40 I AM HOPING TO BUY AT THIS COMING BOATSHOW IN LONDON,HEARD LOTS ABOUT IT AND CANT WAIT TO SEE IT IN THE FLESH.

C

Cal Calabrese

Long term Cruising, Bavaria 39

We have been cruising on a Bavaria 39 since October of 2006, down the ICW to Moorhead City, out into the Atlantic to Fl, then to the Bahamas for the winter of 06-07, retruned to Annapolis, then to Hampton Roads, Caribbean 1500 to Tortola in Nov 07, cruising the US and BVI, Sts. Maartin, Barts, Kits, Nevis,Montsaratt, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Grenadines, Grandada and Trinidad. Love it. Great boat, with AC, Washer/dryer, generator, watermaker etc havily modified for living aboard. Performed well in open ocean with heavy winds and seas, Can not say enough positive about the service from Sail Annapolis where we purchased the boat. No complaints, no major problems, we will keep going, South, West and North again. Just love it.

D

Dave Targett

Inner Forestay

Hi, We are just abou to fit out our boat (Bavaria 37 2006) to take down to the Med. I would be very intrerested in how you fitted an inner forestay since this is something I think is opretty essential for longer distance crusing. Regards, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.