Battery Switch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2013
Hunter 33 New Orleans
I decide to figure out which battery switch location on my boat was start and which was house. I surmised the easiest way was to disconnect the positive lead of one of the batteries and see which position of the selector switch provide no power. It didn't work out that way, as long as I had a battery connected I had power to the dc panel ( All, 1, 2) except when I went to the off position. I shut down shore power thinking the battery charger was lighting the panel not that either. I don't think I have a back feed issue. I know the batteries have been replaced once, and a genset was added. I have to think something is wired incorrectly. I guess the next thing is to look at the back of the switch and see where the battery cables are connected. Any suggestions or am I thinking wrong about the battery selector? I also believe the genset is using the same starting battery as the aux engine, I will trace that cable run.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Perhaps there is a dual sensing battery combiner in the loop...

cjfj

Oct 16, 2010
hunter H34 Mayo, MD
You may want to disconnect the ground cable before the pos cable. It will kill all power and prevent an accidental short

Aug 20, 2011
Hunter 280 Lake Oologah
a simple volt meter will help

Select either position 1 or 2 with the battery switch. Measuring the voltage across each battery with and without running lights on will indicate which battery the power is comingfrom.

Aug 20, 2011
Hunter 280 Lake Oologah
a simple volt meter will help

Select either position 1 or 2 with the battery switch. Measuring the voltage across each battery with and without running lights on will indicate which battery the power is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.