Battery store for the winter

natep

Sep 3, 2018
Beneteau 411 Limited Chesapeake Beach MD
This is my first winter storage for my 2002 Beneteau 411 that I purchased at the beginning of this year. I would like to leave the batteries on the boat for the winter with periodically charging them for a few hours a month. Does anyone have any information or experience with storing the batteries a hard?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Just fully charge them then disconnect them. They should be fine.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yep. Make sure the batteries are fully charged and have enough water.

Disconnect the batteries from everything. Go home and enjoy dreaming about next summer.

The self-discharge rate for batteries in the cold is very low. If the batteries are in decent shape they will winter over with no damage.

natep

Sep 3, 2018
Beneteau 411 Limited Chesapeake Beach MD
You guys are the best! Thanks for your quick response. I will do that tomorrow.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Just fully charge them then disconnect them. They should be fine.
+1 For years I used to remove them, take home and keep in my warm basement. I finally smartened up and now just fully charge, equalize if possible, and disconnect. The disconnect is important. Also be sure that the tops of the batteries are clean and dry.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
I have left mine on board ( and connected) for the past 16 years. I plug the charger in once a month for a few hours. I just changed the batteries this year, the oldest of the 3 was 14 years old, the newest 9 years old. They are Costco marine batteries, just standard deep cell marine. And we are probably colder that your are.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I leave mine in the boat and connect a solar charger to the bank that keeps them up.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The suggestion to disconnect is usually correct ... but as you live where water can freeze, leaving them connected to a bilge pump, particularly with a Beneteau, is good insurance.

If you do have a substantial leak in a cover of a Beneteau which has a shallow bilge, it can prevent a problem should lots of water get in. Conversely, if nothing leaks, no harm leaving the pump connected.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Conversely, if nothing leaks, no harm leaving the pump connected
I'd be careful with that. Our bilge pump sensor draws 11 mA, so that's manageable (about 8 aH per month). The problem is that if you don't completely isolate everything else the drains add up quickly. For example our courtesy light remote receiver and high water alarm are connected directly to battery and add another 30mA or so. Personally I'm in the camp of disconnecting everything. If you're worried about a leak and freezing water I'd carefully measure the draw before deciding to leave anything connected.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If water can enter the bilge, say through a leaky cover or a keel stepped mast that is left up over the winter then a good solution is to add a garboard drain plug. This will let any water that enters the bilge to drain out.

Just remember to put the plug back in come spring! :yikes:

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'd be careful with that. Our bilge pump sensor draws 11 mA, so that's manageable (about 8 aH per month). The problem is that if you don't completely isolate everything else the drains add up quickly. For example our courtesy light remote receiver and high water alarm are connected directly to battery and add another 30mA or so. Personally I'm in the camp of disconnecting everything. If you're worried about a leak and freezing water I'd carefully measure the draw before deciding to leave anything connected.
I suspect electronic sensing switches may be the exception on which to falsely judge the efficacy of disconnection pumps

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I leave my batteries in my powerboat onboard, connected and have a solar trickle charger connected to each one. Is this better than just disconnecting and leaving them? These are not deep cycle and my thinking is that keeping them trickle charging with a 1 amp solar charger will maximize battery life.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Or if you have solar (and I can't imagine not having it in this century), just walk away. It will tend itself.

(If you are in Chesapeake Beach you should be sailing all year anyway:waycool:)

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
The suggestion to disconnect is usually correct ... but as you live where water can freeze, leaving them connected to a bilge pump, particularly with a Beneteau, is good insurance.

If you do have a substantial leak in a cover of a Beneteau which has a shallow bilge, it can prevent a problem should lots of water get in. Conversely, if nothing leaks, no harm leaving the pump connected.
The problem might be that if you have a leak and your bilge pump kick in, and after that the temperature goes below freezing, your pump might crack. A garboard drain might be a better option.