Battery Planning Time

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
At the end of this month we mark 5 years of our original manufacturer installed battery bank (2 205AH 4D House Bank in parallel = 410AH) and 1 Starting battery. The starting battery is in great shape and has only been used about 4-5 times in the last five years and never really discharged. When sailing, the combinations of refrigerators, electronics, and electric winches burn about 20 amps. The house bank now supports about 4 hours before I get the low voltage warning. Equalizing did very little to increase capacity so I think I'm nearing end of life with the house bank.

Space permitting, I am considering replacing the 2 4Ds with 4 Trojan T-145 (2 pairs in serial arrayed in parallel).

Three questions:

1. Is the Trojan T-145 still the "Cadillac" of lead acid batteries or is there a better alternative to consider today? (I contemplated Lithium but I don't think I can cost-justify that jump)

2. The batteries are wired through a four position switch (Off/1/1+2/2) with the House Bank in position 2 and the Starting battery in position 1 (2 Batteries = 2 and 1 Battery = 1 to help remembering). We sail in position 2 but when the House Bank gets low, someone has to go down to the cabin and switch to 1 for engine starting lest the voltage drop restarts the chartplotter. Is there a way to have the batteries wired so that the House does the House, the Starter does the starting, but they can be combined in the rare event the starting battery fails and the alternator charges both banks when the engine is running?

3. Since the Starting Battery and the House Bank are isolated, should I consider replacing the starting battery when I replace the house batteries? As mentioned, the Starting Battery has shown no signs of wear.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Your questions are fairly common and are well covered in many threads in the "Musing With MaineSail" forum on SBO. I'd suggest some time reading those threads would prove fruitful.

MaineSail also has a lot of information on his website, www.MarineHowTo.com. It is a valuable site that can answer some of your questions and make you ask a few more.

Yes there are options to the 1-2-Both switch. This article will help you begin the decision making.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Wow, thank you both. As a long time member of this group, I revere Maine Sail's material and completely blanked on it. Between your two responses, I have everything I need for my "off-season" research and projects.

I'm not sure if our rules permit anyone weighing in on the Trojan T-145, but I would love to know whether the 6V approach and Trojan in particular are still the "Lead Acid Gold Standard" if you can fit them in your battery compartment.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In terms of bang for your buck in FLA batteries, going with golf cart batteries wins. They are robust deep cycle batteries that are widely available. Whether the extra money for Trojans is worth it, is another story. For me, it would depend on how much of a premium I would be paying for how much more life. I can't give you any guidance on that. I have 4 Dekka 6v batteries on my boat.