Battery Maintenance

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
9 years for batteries is a very long time if you had $600.00 in them that would be about $67.00 a year ....so why would you even buy into that contraption when you must already have a good charger just get some new batteries and keep doing what ever you did for the last nine years you are doing better than most and don't think for one minuet that if it were any good.... Maine Sail would have told us about it

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
All They Omitted ....................

................. was their copyrighted label.

After getting into the patter that this product was:

- used by the military

- tested by two universities

- increases the life expectancy of your battery by "up to" five times

all without any backup literature whatsoever, I was getting a little skeptical.

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
From what I read, if your battery charger equalizes your batteries, you don't need this.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Not snake oil to PULSE your batteries.

My Inverter/Charger has a "balance" mode. You should "balance" or PULSE you batteries once per year by a high amp "super amp" charge for about 8 hours if it is a regulated super charger. My IC hits it for 4 hours then drift charges down and stops the super mode.

Batteries get "lazy" and the super amp gives them a well deserved kick in the Plates.:eek:

Whether or not this device has a proven track record versus the "Balance charge", I could not tell.

The concept is intriguing. I will wait till version 2 comes out.:)
Jim...

PS: Autozone will do super charge for free on your car batteries.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
My batteries finally gave up the ghost after 9 years of service and they've been replaced.

I came across these articles. Is this snake oil :confused: or for real.

http://www.mpowermfg.com/images/Pulse Tech.pdf

http://www.quarrymarine.com/pdf/SAEPaper.pdf

and the actual product:

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s&field-keywords=Pulsetech+PowerPulse+12-Volt
Yes I own a PulseTech, and a few others too, but they simply don't do what they advertise to do, which is eliminate or reduce sulfation in sulfated batteries. I have tried very hard for many years to see improvements in Ah capacity, cranking capacity, internal resistance and internal impedance but to date nothing measurable.

I have many thousands of dollars invested in battery charging and testing equipment:

With this equipment there is no lies and no BS.. I have measured no discernible increases in Ah capacity, drops in internal resistance or internal impedance changes. I have physically had the PuseTech (PowerPulse) running for over 6 months on what was originally a 32Ah GEL battery, it is still in the 15Ah range when capacity tested just as it was on teh first capacity test after being retired.. It's sister battery, with which it was in parallel, on a wheel chair, started within a few tenths of an Ah in capacity to the PulseTech'd battery. The non-pulsed battery is now pushing 23.5Ah's with no pulsing, just a regime of deep discharges followed by slow full recharges with the absorption voltage held for 18+ hours followed with a hard and fast recharge with voltage held for 12 hours... The battery marked MK on the bench is running a PulseTech PowerPulse. It has not changed in capacity in SIX months yet in a week I was able to restore nearly 8Ah's of usable capacity to its sister battery..

I can't say how these batteries would last if you started pulsing from the beginning but I can assure you they have made no measurable changes to any of the numerous batteries, of all types, that I have tested them on. Equalizing your batteries regularly, if they can be, and properly charging them to 100%, regularly, results in healthy batteries. These devices, in my shop, on my test equipment, have proven to do next to nothing and I am using lab grade equipment to measure baseline > forward......:doh:

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Thanks for chiming in Main Sail. I was hoping that someone had actually tried this device. The literature looks quite convincing and the added splash that the US Military uses them makes one wonder. The reviews from various users really doesn't tell much since they never really had a base from which to judge the results.