Battery location

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Closing on 1139 next Friday and already thinking about some changes.

Where do you store your battery? I want to move to a 2 battery system with a solar charger. Right now the battery is in the cockpit starboard locker. Would like to move it somewhere into the cabin with the extra one opposite to it to improve balance of the boat.

Input would be appreciated...

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
The battery on Chingaletta, a 1989 built Capri is located below the front of the cockpit with access from the cabin.behind the cooler. There is a formed space that is large enough to contain the battery in a box.

Cheers,
Curt

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
My '01 mk II had its sole battery moved to an aftermarket battery platform w/strap under the port side cockpit seat (accessible from cabin) by previous owner.
Wooster looking forward to warmer times

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Happiness is getting back on the Capri 22 Web site. I had some password-user name problems after my PC crashed.

Anyway, I made a box in the port side compartment, in the cabin. Close to the forward bulkhead.
I figured it was best to have if forward and on the opposite side of the outboard.
The MK I battery was located behind the cooler, under the cockpit floor. Difficult to get at.
I use a lawn mower type of battery. A very in-expensive solar charger from Harbor Freight keeps the battery
topped off during the summer for marine radio and running lights ( LEDS now).

Putting the battery in the rear makes no sense to me with todays outboards being heavier ( 4 strokes).

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Hershey said:
Putting the battery in the rear makes no sense to me with todays outboards being heavier ( 4 strokes).

Hershey
Exactly my thought. My boat looks a tad heavy astern with the 4hp Mercury outboard on. I am switching to a Torqeedo which should help and moving the battery should result in some further leveling...

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
"Ophelia's" house 12 volt battery is located in the forward locker just in front of the potty.
Since "Ophelia" has a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0, the four GC2 batteries are located where the cooler would normally be located.

This allows a very good distribution of the weight. The four GC2 batteries weigh about 260 lbs and are located just above the keel very close to the center of balance. Mounted very low, these batteries add to the righting moment.

The forward locker location was chosen partly to shift the balance slightly forward. I fiberglassed in a plywood shelf large enough to support the mounting bracket.

"Ophelia" spends her summers on a mooring. The batteries are charged by a 110 watt set of Ganz flexible solar panels mounted on the foredeck and forward hatch. Each panel has a simple isolation diode combining the output currents at the same voltage. These are then sent to two separated MPPT charge controllers to product the 12 vdc and 24 vdc charging profiles for each battery set.

These panels can be stepped on but only a little more slippery than the molded in non-slip. It has not hindered any foredeck activities for my sailing needs — primarily a day sailor that joins in various regattas "for practice"!

I also have a Promariner 3-channel charger to use shore power if ever needed. I do periodically top off the batteries during the winter and once more just before launching.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
I live in the Rye Neck area of the Friendly Village.... Maybe a 7 min car drive to the harbor....

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
Ok, I see this has already been discussed.
Will check out the locations mentioned.
Thanks all.

Mar 11, 2014
With all the discussion about moving the batteries I don't see any mention on the wire gauge to do this. I'm especially interested in what the wire gauge would be to move the batteries behind the cooler and then run an electric trolling motor instead of my Outboard.

I took the four stroke and put it in storage and am using a 3hp trolling motor so I want to move the battery forward and add a twin but the amperage draw (based on the discharge rate of the battery I estimate it draws 50-60 amps per hour) of the motor makes me think I need to run 4 gauge wire.
Would like your thoughts?
Also, What kind of connection or Plug do you use to connect the battery to the Motor in the back?
Lastly, Did you folks install a Battery switch when you installed two batteries?

Any and all advice would be appreciated

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
drewlamparello said:
With all the discussion about moving the batteries I don't see any mention on the wire gauge to do this. I'm especially interested in what the wire gauge would be to move the batteries behind the cooler and then run an electric trolling motor instead of my Outboard.

I took the four stroke and put it in storage and am using a 3hp trolling motor so I want to move the battery forward and add a twin but the amperage draw (based on the discharge rate of the battery I estimate it draws 50-60 amps per hour) of the motor makes me think I need to run 4 gauge wire.
Would like your thoughts?
Also, What kind of connection or Plug do you use to connect the battery to the Motor in the back?
Lastly, Did you folks install a Battery switch when you installed two batteries?

Any and all advice would be appreciated
Well I haven't done a move yet but you might want to check out the manual on the Torqueedo website for some guidance as to wire gauge:

http://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/produc ... 32-00.html

I am planning on installing a switch if I move to a 2 battery system....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Just checked the manual and battery connections are supposed to have a wire cross sections of 25 square mm which translates to 3 AWG. Might be different for different setup.....

Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for checking. 3 AWG is full on Battery cable. Given my estimated amperage draw that makes sense. Seems the manual indicates various voltages for the torqeedo, is the 3AWG for 12 volts or a higher voltage?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
drewlamparello said:
Thanks for checking. 3 AWG is full on Battery cable. Given my estimated amperage draw that makes sense. Seems the manual indicates various voltages for the torqeedo, is the 3AWG for 12 volts or a higher voltage?
The detached battery systems are either 24v or 48v. Both seem to use the same wire gauge according to the website.

Mar 11, 2014
That would mean the wire size should be even bigger for 12 volts.... Seems if I'm going to do this I'll have to use 2AWG to power the Motor with the batter up by the cooler... Glad I checked... Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Choosing the size wire needed, focus on the CURRENT draw, not the VOLTAGE. Wire has its own resistance per unit length which affects the the choice of minimum diameter (gauge) size. Don't forget that the electrons have to travel the total length. So it the distance of the wire is 10 feet, calculate the distance to be 20 feet. Aim for less than 3% drop for efficiency. This is the distance needed to reach from the transom to the cabin where the cooler mounts in a Capri 22.

The small trolling motors are fused at 60 amps. Size the wire to be at least 8 gauge for very short distances. This is the diameter that the small trolling motors put on the pigtails to attach directly to a battery. To be most efficient, use 4 gauge marine grade wire for the 60 amp loads regardless if it is 12 vdc, 24 vdc, or 48 vdc (most common standard voltages used).

The Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 motors draw up to 100 amps.The metric size of 35 mm squared is equivalent to 3 gauge. Chose 2 gauge instead since you can find it easier. 4 gauge will work. But at full speed unless the batteries are fully charged, the voltage will drop below the minimum needed to run the Torqeedo and it will turn off to protect itself.

West Marine publishes a useful lookup chart (www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-W ... d-Ampacity).
Blue Sea Systems also had an app to calculate the best gauge (www.bluesea.com/resources/1437).

I purchased most of my bulk large gauge wire from Jamestown Distributors. Be sure to purchase "Marine Grade" stranded wire that is tinned. After several years of Boston Harbor, my wires are still in great shape.