Battery location H31' (83-87)

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
I am looking at installing 2 house batteries in the lazaret under the STBD seat on my H31.

Currently, the start battery is mounted directly behind the gearbox and the house battery is under the port settee.

I was looking to install 2x Group 31 AGM's in the well that exists in the lazaret. Any thoughts on this area and installing batteries? It puts the batteries, charger, solar controller, etc. all within close proximity and should make re-wiring much easier. I haven't measured it yet to see if the batteries will fit into that space with battery boxes yet, but this seems like an ideal location.

Thanks all!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Batteries do not like water splashed on them.
A couple of batteries can weigh as much as a small crew member, but they do not move about.

When you suggest the lazaret I cringe. I consider an open lazaret as an easy source to have water ingress. Additionally lazarets tend to be on a side of the boat (port or starboard). Sticking a permanent crew member near a boat rail can tend to cause the boat to list to one side.

If you can solve the water on the battery problem and the placement of 62kg to one side of the boat will not put the boat out of balance, then I say go for it.

Oct 29, 2013
The
Batteries do not like water splashed on them.
A couple of batteries can weigh as much as a small crew member, but they do not move about.

When you suggest the lazaret I cringe. I consider an open lazaret as an easy source to have water ingress. Additionally lazarets tend to be on a side of the boat (port or starboard). Sticking a permanent crew member near a boat rail can tend to cause the boat to list to one side.

If you can solve the water on the battery problem and the placement of 62kg to one side of the boat will not put the boat out of balance, then I say go for it.
This space stay's pretty dry. Plus with battery boxes, I think the batteries will be dry. The weight is the bigger issue. Putting two of these AGM's anywhere is going to add weight and possible list to one side or the other. So I am trying to think about the best location. The well where I am looking to install is closer to the centerline than to the rail, but still adds weight on the STBD side.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Mine were in the aft quarterberth, very close to the centerline, up against the bulkhead, and forward of the steering quadrant tube.

Oct 29, 2013
Mine were in the aft quarterberth, very close to the centerline, up against the bulkhead, and forward of the steering quadrant tube.
Do you have a picture? Were they installed in Battery Boxes?

We also tend to sleep back there so I am not sure how that would work. lol

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
I'll look for pics, stand by for a few minutes. I slept in the quarterberth, but there really isn't room for two. It stays hot back there for a LONG time if you've been motoring, though we are in the southeastern US and were on the boat from March to October, so it was hot anyway.

Batteries were in boxes and strapped down to the "floor" of that compartment.

Edit: These aren't great, but should give you an idea.

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

The battery charger was mounted on the bulkhead, as you can see. For scale and location, you can see the steering pulley above the charger.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I have 2 lead acid batteries just above the shaft centerline of my H31 with easy access to that area for servicing From the port side quarter berth. they are mounted on a wooden platform above the shaft and inside individual battery boxes that are secured. Also have a third lead acid battery in the starboard cockpit locker in the storage area that I believe was intended as the original battery location set up. Area stays dry. Can send pics later this week when at the boat.

Oct 29, 2013
I'll look for pics, stand by for a few minutes. I slept in the quarterberth, but there really isn't room for two. It stays hot back there for a LONG time if you've been motoring, though we are in the southeastern US and were on the boat from March to October, so it was hot anyway.

Batteries were in boxes and strapped down to the "floor" of that compartment.

Edit: These aren't great, but should give you an idea.

View attachment 189021

View attachment 189021

The battery charger was mounted on the bulkhead, as you can see. For scale and location, you can see the steering pulley above the charger.
Thanks for the pictures. That helps a lot. I like the setup in the QB. I noticed you don’t have the pulley/stealing quadrant cover installed. Makes a bit more headroom in there. That said my wife and I sleep back there. She is 5’ tall so doesn’t really take up a lot of room.

That said, I checked the fuel tank and water tank volumes. The fuel tank is on the stbd side and is 18gal. Diesel weighs about 7lb per gallon. The water tank on the port side is 33Gal. Water weighs about 8.3lb/Gal. So with the batteries in the stbd lazaret there is only a few lbs difference in weight.

Of course if the water tank is empty the difference is around 150lb.

So much to consider. Haha

• Ha
Oct 28, 2018
Hunter 31 Duncan Bay
Mine sit on a platform over the transmission. They are directly on the center and do not show in the berth. No pictures, but I have 2 large batteries there.

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
I have two group 27 batteries on a platform as well, I also was able to fit a third battery behind that spot under the quarter berth a group 27 fits with a battery tray glassed to hull and strap to hold in place centered over prop shaft. of course to check water the battery needs to be pulled back but I don't need to do that but once a season.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
The disadvantages of having mine where they were were that I couldn't check the water levels easily. Having them on the platform above the transmission would have made a LOT of things more difficult. Oil changes (both kinds), transmission oil checks, visual checks, operation of the raw water intake thru-hull, cleaning out the thru-hull strainer. I can't imagine having to move the batteries to do those things, especially the getting-underway daily checks.

We were on the boat every day for 6 months though, and underway most of those days, so YMMV. For example, most people change their oil on a yearly basis. I did three or four changes in those 6 months.

I've always liked the location of Mike's (HMT2) batteries (see above).

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Not familiar with your boat. IMHO I would not be overly concerned with placing the batteries in the exact centerline. Many boats have holding tanks and the like placed to one side. Try to keep the boat balanced side to side as best you can but do not overthink it.

Oct 29, 2013
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I decided to go with a single AGM for this year and see how it works. I only had 60W of solar previously and the AGM I had previously never seemed to be able to get fully charged (Unless on shore power). THis year I am installing 200W of solar. I will monitor this with a Victron battery monitor and see if I need the second AGM. So if I install it in the lazaret it will only be around 75lbs. The boat should remain pretty balanced with the water tank opposite.

I will see if a 2nd is required and install it next year.

Do most people with an H31 or H34 of this vintage have 1 or two house batteries?

Thanks Again!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My PO turned the foot well under the nav table into a battery box. I have two group 31 flooded batts in there serving as the house batteries, and a group 24 mounted near the transmission as a start battery.
How short are your legs? :poop:

I can’t get my feet under my nav table as it is (different boat). I usually have at least one leg in the aisle.

Greg

Oct 29, 2013
Ya, we anchor out for a couple of days at a time pretty often. We also tend to spend a week or two away from shore power at least once per summer. If the 200W of solar can keep the batteries topped up between running the motor while moving the boat from anchorage to anchorage (When sailing isn't possible or is painfully slow) then that will be great.

The big draw is refrigeration. I want to be able to keep my fridge running indefinitely while we are out. I have updated all the lights to LED so there really isn’t much for power requirements. The VHF on standby draws hardly anything.

I guess we’ll see how it goes with 1-battery. I think like jmce1587, I will install in the battery in the cockpit locker/lazaret.