Battery life

Fogg

Dec 8, 2010
Catalina 30 Tall rig New Haven
Hi all,
With 170 watts of solar and a controller keeping my house 8D battery happy, I am considering a BlueSea charge relay to send "extra power" to my starter battery. I am on a mooring and rarely tuck into a slip with 30Amp power for an AC charger. Does anyone have experience or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Fogg.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Three choices:

1. Blue Sea ACR

2. Xantrex echo charger

3. Yandina combiner

A DuoCharge is an unnecessary item 'cuz it costs more and is not needed if you have the same battery chemistry.

Price them all out and see which one works for you. Functionally they're pretty similar. I'll let others type in the differences, I'm tired of repeating it all.

Good luck.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Off topic but where do you put a D8 on a C30. I have a D4 in the battery compartment of my '88 but with forced air cabin heat and refrigeration I wish that I had more storage.

Fogg

Dec 8, 2010
Catalina 30 Tall rig New Haven
Off topic but where do you put a D8 on a C30. I have a D4 in the battery compartment of my '88 but with forced air cabin heat and refrigeration I wish that I had more storage.
Big heavy 8D just fits fore&aft under starboard quarterberth next to diesel tank. I epoxied 1/2" marine ply to hull for support & to fasten several tie-downs. Pos & neg anodes covered for protection. A couple covered bus bars eliminate crowded lugs. Starter battery in cabinet under nav table by battery switch & AC/DC panels. Cable run not too long.