battery install Mac21

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jabcoMac21

Present battery under the deck toward aft and very hard to get to for a recharge. Is there a better spot to place it. I am assuming it should be aft due to its weight but maybe not...

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
Battery location

That sounds like the same location as on my '76 V25 and I am looking for a location more forward: like where the keel pivot bolt is or even a little more forward for better balance. That way I could have additional fuel storage in the rear for cruising. Problem is, if you use your motor for charging, you'll need much heavier wire to overcome the voltage drop caused by longer wire runs. Big trade off. Whatever you do, make sure the battery is well secured.

O

oldiesrocker2001

Battery Location

My V21 came with lights and no wiring so I started from scratch. I placed the battery under the starboard seat nearer to the hatch than the stern. This was still tough to get to though. I have also learned in time that too much weight aft will make this boat point very poorly. Even raising the motor(4HP 4str, mounted on port side)and tilting it forward made a noticeable difference in pointing ability. I remove my battery in the winter, which is difficult where it is located, and store it in the front section of my garage(the rest of the garage is a full blown recording studio). During the sailing season, though I have a solar charger to keep the battery topped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.