Battery Gremlin

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Pearson 424 East Hampton,NY
when i switch 1-2-Both switch to bank 1 all is good. When i switch to bank 2 the 12v lights flicker and buzz. Voltage is showing good for both banks. I have checked all connections at batteries, grounds, and at switch and can't find any problems. also, Link 2000 is showing error "lobatt" for both banks? should I be looking at the switch itself as possibly bad? could the Link 2000 be causing the problem?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
How old is the battery switch? Where is the noise emanating from?

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
Blue Seas switch, about 5 years old. noise coming from VHF speaker

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
when battery switch is set to the "bad" battery, I hear pulsing through the VHF, 12v light flickers on and off, and 12 volt voltmeter (not the Link 2000) reads zero(0) volts ! If I turn on the battery charger, the voltmeter goes back to reading 12.55 volts.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
. I have checked all connections at batteries, grounds, and at switch and can't find any problems.
How? Unless you remove, clean and reconnect, you can’t be sure. It sounds like a poor connection given that you said battery voltages appear good.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I had a weird thing happen with my negative cable. Starter battery wouldn't turn over the engine. Switch to the house bank and no problem. Volt meter on the engine battery posts reads 13V. WTH? Then I had a itch and accidentally slid the negative probe into the tiny crack between the battery post and the negative cable clamp. Got a spark and the buzzer until I pulled the probe out. I had to loosen the clamp to get it off the post to clean it and the post. Problem solved. YMMV.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Blue Seas switch, about 5 years old. noise coming from VHF speaker
A Blue Sea switch at year 5 would be an extremely rare failure. Focus on cleaning all terminations, pos and neg side in the battery circuit. Check all crimp terminations as well.

Rodd

Jan 22, 2008
May have found the issue! Seems the battery voltage sensing wire that leads to a volt meter on the panel ( for the battery giving trouble) was not making good contact on the stud on Blue Sea switch. Removed that sensing wire, ran a jumper from sensing wire to 1-2- both switch stud and no more problem!