Battery & Fuel locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
I'm getting close to having to replace my diesel tank, and also considering new batteries. What I'm considering is re-locating everything as part of the replacement. Specs: 1975 R-28, Yanmar 2gm, 1 group 24 starting & 1 group 27 house battery, 10 gal steel diesel tank. Currently (pun intended) my batteries are located forward in side the port side lazarette. On the other side of the galley bulkhead as it were. They are definitely off center and the boat sits ever so slightly down to port. I'd like to get them more centered. My water tank is located under the starboard settee, but I never have it filled so there's no counter-balance to the batteries. My fuel tank (approx 9" x 16" x 26") is located at the very stern behind the rudder post. A good use of potentially wasted space but seems like a bad spot for weight to be in terms of leverage. So I've been thinking of: - moving the batteries closer to center. Perhaps even relocating them to the useless icebox under the cabin steps. (Although this really works well as a quick access tool storage area). - putting a larger (12 or 15 gal?) tank over top of the prop shaft So .....where do other R-28's have their batteries & fuel tanks located? Any considerations as a result? Any and all comments welcome. cheers all jcm Victoria

B

Barnacle Bill

You are on the right track

Getting weight closer to the center of the vessel, both athwartships and fore and aft is always a good idea. Keep weight away from the ends is always a good idea - especially in terms of performance. Weight on the ends contribute to hobby horsing in a seaway and if you have a full tank aft, plus crew in the cockpit, then your boat could squat, which will help slow it down, if you race. Moving the tank forward helps that situation. Just remember that someday you might have to remove the shaft, or the transmission, or pack the stuffing box, etc., and so if the tank is in the way of doing that, you will curse yourself for moving it. Regarding the batteries, consider how you are going to run your cables and accessory wires to the battery before you make the switch. You can always stuff your tools in a tool bag and stash them elsewhere. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.