Battery cut-off switch?

Aug 12, 2012
Catalina 30 MKII Pensacola
This switch(?) is located under the galley sink in my 1989 Catalina 30. Can anyone explain it’s purpose/function?
8BE84B0C-AE73-4D8C-ADCE-33041BE10A3A.jpeg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Looks like an RV battery disconnect switch like I have on my fifth wheel trailer. Could be anbody's guess. Once you find out suggest labeling the function of each selectror switch position.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Have you considered following the wires to see what it's connected to?

Last week a skipper reported a problem he had when he turned off an "unknown" switch that cost him $800 because it triggered his halon system!

If you don't know what it is, then please find out before you mess with it.

It is NOT OEM, definite on that I am.

Please let us know what you find, you'll enjoy playing detective. :)

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
It is NOT OEM, definite on that I am.
Stu's correct in being definite on that.

It's a cheapie RV battery switch. It appears to be in the "ON" position as in the "OFF" position the red toggle is removable.

Did a previous owner put additional batteries somewhere on the port side? Mine were under the chart table (stbd).

IIRC you can see what's under that cabinet from the port access panels/engine access space. Maybe stick a camera down there to see where the wires go.

Aug 12, 2012
Catalina 30 MKII Pensacola
Thanks for the responses. The exact wiring is difficult to see, but you are correct on identifying the switch, I think. My boat has two starboard batteries on the 2 position of the batt switch and a third battery on the port side on the 1 position. Is this also non-stock? My guess is that switch doesn't do much on any position other than 1.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chris.
Switches like that are often used as cut off switches. The key is removable. The switch has two positions - On or Off.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Typically a battery switch has multiple options.
OFF- 1 - BOTH - 2.
Something like this.
1635103748290.jpeg

They come in several colors and shapes. But are distinguishable by their function.

The design comes from an earlier time in boat building. There are concerns that this type of switch can risk damage to your alternator when the engine is running, should the switch be turned to off.

The cut-off switch could have the same issue. To prevent this the key that turns the switch is removable.

The purpose of a cut-off switch is to protect the user while they are working on the alternator from being exposed to a shock risk.

You need more information about the wiring and the connections to understand what the switch does on your boat.