Battery Charging

Jul 29, 2013
Hunter 22 and 26 Greers Ferry Lake, Fairfield Bay, AR
I recently purchased "Sweet Dreams", 1997 Hunter 26. I have the owners manual but cannot figure out how the single battery in aft port storage is to be recharged. I think I must be missing something because it seems you either have to pull battery out or drag a charger back to the battery.

Oct 9, 2012
Hunter 260 Wing keel Davis, CA
Mine is a 260 (wing keel), so dunno exactly how your setup is, but I placed a charger on a tray strongly velcroed to the floor next to the battery. The charger (can't see here) connects to the shore power and is to the right of the battery behind the srewed-on lid you see in the bottom-right corner of the first picture. Shore power inlet added to starboard and breaker also shown.

Attachments

Oct 9, 2012
simple too

I had to put in the shore power installation (the external plug is by the port, not stbd, bow). I also operate the boat with only one battery. I could have spared the shore power and brought an extension cord to the charger installed elsewhere, but that is not allowed in our marina. So battery, charger, and shorepower are all close to each other.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kbrown;

got your email. First, what type of motor and is it electric start. Do you plan to upgrade. I note no shore power but do you plan to install that? Is the battery on the port or starboard as they generally were on the starboard. Specifically, what are your thinking of what you want done? Finally, does your boat have the aft locker pull down cover lids?

Dave condon aka crazy dave

Jul 29, 2013
Hunter 22 and 26 Greers Ferry Lake, Fairfield Bay, AR
Dear crazy Dave,
Sweet Dreams has electric outboard with battery box in fuel locker. Previous owner said he never used or installed battery. He would just rope start. The other battery box is port behind drop down door in aft bulkhead. Previous owner said he never had a battery at this location either he just connected one of those portable jumper batteries. I'm just having trouble with how Mr. Luhrs intended one to charge the Cabin battery. I believe I have two options. Install both batteries and so both batteries charge install a battery switch and an automatic charging Relay. Option two would be keep it simple and drill hole in fuel box and bring cabin wires to motor battery and just use one battery.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Not familiar with the boat, but "stopped short" when I read battery in fuel locker. Assuming the set up is safe, you can add a trickle charger in the locker as weedstomper has done. To connect a second battery use an Automatic Charging Relay, ACR, also called a combiner. They work great, hook it up and forget it.

Oct 9, 2012
Share Paul's concern about operating a battery charger and a battery in the fuel compartment

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kbrown;

I will tell you without any question, remove that damn battery from the fuel locker. One spark and gas fumes, you will be toasted if not dead. That was not Hunter install but a bozo install.

Send me an email to davecondon@mindspring.com with phone and location and I will call to talk with you in detail.

crazy dave condon

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have a 5 watt solar panel connected to each of my 2 batteries. Seems to work like a charm.

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
kbrown 1593,
If I read right that you said your boat has an electric engine, no gasoline powered one and if you store no fuel or gas containers for cocking in the fuel locker; the battery stored at the fuel locker should not be a dangerous setup.
Wonder only how the battery is secured not to slide around much?
Adding a shore power connector is a convenient must have. Usually you will have to put a GFI receptacle inside where the shoe power ends and go from there. You can then easily connect a battery charger and when on shore power you are able to connect directly to 110 Volt devices like micro wave, etc.