Battery Charger for C30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BW

Does anyone know if you can purchase and permanently install a battery charging unit that runs off of shore power? Where can I find one? Also, is there a device that allows you to run the 12v electrical system off of shore power when plugged in? I have an 88 C30. Thanks in advance. BW

J

Jerry Maisonneuve

Here is one type..

try http://www.chargetek.com/....I am currently using one now and it works fine as long as you check your battery water level now and then. If the water is boiling out get a cheap timer and only run it in cycles. You can leave it permanantly connected.

R

Rhet Tignor

Guest charger

I installed a guest 10 amp charger. I wired it into the system and it has worked very well. I located it just below the nav table on a its own 110 VAC breaker. Now when we dock and hook up AC powerer the question is, "are there lights". If so, we know that all is well in the battery world.

S

Steve

Easy upgrade

I purchased a flush-mount battery charger for my '86 Cat 30 from West Marine ($129.99) and it is a pleasure. It always keeps the batteries properly charged and shuts itself off when the proper charge level is attained. Remember that gel batteries require a special charger type vs. wet cells. Mine has a toggle switch to accomodate both. I installed my charger in the bottom (shelf area) of the nav station on the bulkhead facing aft. I can still raise the divider shelf to get to the battery storage compartment and the chager is out of site and out of mind. A quick visual check on the status lights is all that is required to assess proper operating condition. I use all of my 12 volt system accessories when connected to shore power because the battery stays charged all the time. Hope this helps..

J

Jamie Taylor

Stat Power

Look into Stat Power battery chargers. You can find them in West Marine. A great product. My charger is installed in the port cockpit locker. It's a good place to connect into a 110 source. Gook Luck!

B

Bob Camarena

Be Careful in Mounting

Be careful where you mount it. It shouldn't be mounted in the same closed area as the batteries. You don't want to risk igniting fumes from charging batteries. You do want to be fairly close to reduce resistance and use properly sized wire. Whatever kind you buy, pay a little more and get a modern, multi-stage charger. Your batteries will last longer.

J

John V.

Mounting location

The previous reply makes a good point. However, a reasonable quality solid state charger won't make sparks. For a sophisticated charger like the TrueCharge units, which have ambient temperature sensing, but remote or battery temperature sensing capability, they should be mounted in the same comaprtment as the batteries so that the temperature tracks the battery temperature, for proper charging. jv

D

Don

Try StatPower

I agree with Jamie. Try the StatPower installed in port cockpit locker. On my C27 it is inststalled there and works just fine and is out of the way. I also have optional monitoring panel installed in cabin. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.