Battery cable thru-hull?

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I just bought a used 8hp electric start outboard for my H240 and need to run the battery cables into the stern area where the battery is located (behind the double berth below the cockpit). Is there a preferred way to do a thru-hull or connection for the cables in the fiberglass wall of the fuel locker that will be watertight? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If he has a similar setup, I might be able to take pictures of a friend's H240 tonight or tomorrow if that will help.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Can do a "bulkhead connector" which makes a connecting stud on each side, or through-deck wire seal.

Or if it doesn't need to be perfect just use a hole with sealant.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Thanks- those Blue Sea studs look like the ticket- didn't know they were a thing-
and good thing I checked- positive cable eye is 3/8" and negative is 5/16" so need to order two different sizes.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Caverun
Check out trolling motor plugs which should work. There are two and three prong styles. Suggest the two prong.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I've used the Blue Sea Cable Cam that allows you to keep a continuous run of cable, without adding terminals. I did that for the Radar cable but I am sure a Cable Cam would work fine for a battery cable. In additon, it might have room for any other small wire you need to run in the same cam. Just my preference.

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
I use a two prong trolling motor plug in my transom. Best thing about it is if you break a wire or something like that you can get it the plugs and parts at just about any Outdoor Store

MySong

Aug 20, 2019
Hunter 26 1001 Rocky Fork
I use a two prong trolling motor plug in my transom. Best thing about it is if you break a wire or something like that you can get it the plugs and parts at just about any Outdoor Store

IMG_20200404_153512.jpg