Battery Box

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
Most important point is that the batteries are secure and will not move, along with the cable- wiring in the area, box is not so important, as fiberglass compartments will resist acid sufficiently so the box is pointless. Most all these anal rules are for the manufactuerers and lawyers. Their not meant to regulate home DIY mechanics working on their own boats therefore are uninforced and coastguard boys are not qualified mechanics so do not have any legal standing to issue you a citation on the quality of your battery system.

Nov 4, 2013
Spirit 28 Bremerton, WA
If you use the white plastic battery boxes (like the ones sold by Dyno or Century Plastics), and strap them down with a nylon ratchet strap, is that sufficient to prevent side to side movement under heavy seas? Or is a tray with sides also needed?

Another way to ask the question -- are the boxes strong enough to strap down tightly? Or will doing so crush the sides/lid against the battery inside?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you use the white plastic battery boxes (like the ones sold by Dyno or Century Plastics), and strap them down with a nylon ratchet strap, is that sufficient to prevent side to side movement under heavy seas? Or is a tray with sides also needed?

Another way to ask the question -- are the boxes strong enough to strap down tightly? Or will doing so crush the sides/lid against the battery inside?
A few years ago my boat blew off of its jackstands and landed on the ground. The batteries (group 24) were in stock battery boxes strapped down by those cheap plastic straps that come with them. The batteries were fine, the boxes remained strapped to the sole and the batteries continued to work for a couple of years before they were retired at 8 years of age.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Where did you source that white battery box? It seems like a nice fit. Most boxes seem a lot bulkier.
I bought mine here, price is now $46.00 +shipping, I paid $29 shipping for 2 boxes.

I cut down on height to fit my space.

Aug 30, 2014
Alden 44 Pt Richmond
I ended up going with the Dyno boxes. I had to cut them down a little bit to fit in the space I had. That was easy to do with a table saw and a jig saw to extend the notches for the cables.