Battery banks

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
How big is your battery bank 1, 2,3 could you use one more ? (that's what she said!) LOL
Im new to solar power and would like to do my restoration on my Hunter30 Philter entirely on solar power. 1. just to see if I can 2. To get use to solar power and 3. Once im living on Philter I should have a good Idea on the capability and limitations of solar power.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I suggest STARTING with 200w of solar and 200 ampere hours of battery bank for New Orleans area and 30' boat. Chief

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The biggie is refrigeration if living aboard. Without knowing the power consumption of the fridge, gonna be hard to comment.. If ya have a good efficient fridge, Chief's numbers are someplace to start.. If no fridge, probably half that if everything is LED, cabin and nav lights, and the fans are really efficient. No air conditioning is really possible..

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
A/C is a luxury here in Louisiana and I figured it would be to much for solar power. the boat will be in my back yard for the restoration and If I need A/C I did pick up on one of those hatch units for $150 Ill just have to plug a extention cord into the house for the A/C .

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I use 160w solar & 200ah bank with reefer, but my reefer is 2.7 sq ft and only averages .7a dc use. I use a 15" TV as well and it works fine. If I use my new AC 6k window model in forward hatch (has remote control) I use house or pier power. Would take my 2k Honda gen if going to Gulf area. In Bodega Bay Ca. we don't need an AC in summer. Chief

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Benny you are rite I just know the A/C wouldn't work unless I lined the hull with batteries and had solar panels all over the deck and cock pit.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Benny you are rite I just know the A/C wouldn't work unless I lined the hull with batteries and had solar panels all over the deck and cock pit.
Depends on how long you wanted it to run. Dometic makes a DC powered 3500 BTU/hr cabin-cooler that is designed to cool down a stateroom. Runs off a dedicated battery back. Draws 29 amps, so do the math about how long you would want it to run, and how much charging capability you would need to get it re-loaded.

http://www2.dometic.com/bd10b370-ad73-44f7-a491-9d1459e03737.fodoc

As other have noted without a detailed energy budget the discussion is meaningless.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I installed 200W of solar and just spend 5 days at anchor. Our main draw is the stock cold box and adler barbour freezer unit. I use 2 wetcell group 27 batteries as the house bank. The boat has led's, and a led anchor light so most draw is from the fridge. So far in 85 degree weather the batteries are fully charged by about 10am. After that the solar panel runs the fridge when it comes on. We also seem to always have something charging, iphone, ipad etc.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Man with a 200Ah bank I could run that ac for 8 hours with extra for lights, and small fridge. will have to look into it.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Jl. You could run that A/C about 3-1/3hrs max on a 200ah bank with no lights or fridge when fully charged. About 2 hours when cruising- 80% state of charge. You only want to run deep cycle batteries down to about 50% before charging back up or your batts will have a short life.

Look for Mainsails info on how to care for your batteries.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Man with a 200Ah bank I could run that ac for 8 hours with extra for lights, and small fridge. will have to look into it.

When you account for Peukert, and the "cruisers rule" (50% SOC to 80% SOC cycling when off cruising) you will have approx 60 usable Ah's at a discharge load of less than the 20 hour rate (at a real low rate you'll get slightly more than 200Ah's). The 20 hour rate on a 200Ah battery bank is 10A. At any discharge load above this rate the bank gets smaller. A 30A load on a 200Ah bank makes it an approx 149Ah bank not 200Ah... You could potentially run that AC for about 1.25 - 1.5 hours at best on a 200Ah bank while off cruising...

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Yes - taking into account peukert (drawing higher amperage loads effectively reduces your banks -Ah rating) you "could" run it for 149ah/26amps=5.7 hours going from 100% to 0% charge.

However your batteries will only do this a few times before they are no longer usable. General wisdom is to only discharge your bank to half its capacity (slightly more ok on a very occasional basis)

Because of this a 200ah bank has only about 100ah at full charge. When cruising most only get their batteries back to about 80% state of charge. (The last 20% takes a long time to put back in). This leaves you with 80 ah usable - low amperage use will allow you to get this capacity - heavy draw again means less available. Using Main's peukert adjusted capacity gives a maximum 80% of 149 = 119ah. Usable capacity is 1/2 of this or approximately 60ah. usable capacity of 60/26=2.3 hours of use.

Feb 6, 1998
check this video out replace the inverter at 30 something ampers with the a/c at 26ampers and with his math its 8 hours Im not saying your math is wrong cause I have nothing to compare it to and Im just learning this stuff so tell me what you think.
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/ampere-hour-Ah-or-amp-hour
Sorry I stopped watching when Mr. Fix It described Ah ratings as related to deep cycle batteries incorrectly....... If you start with an incorrect definition of an Ah rating, all else is incorrect also.... Wow...

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Well, if you went with the Firefly Carbon Foam AGM you could get by with a higher depth of discharge.
http://www.bruceschwab.com/advanced-energy-storage-systems/firefly-energys-oasis-group-31/
Maybe 3 G31s for 300ish Amp-Hours.

I imagine you would want to get the bank recharged during the day, so using the 4 hour rule for solar, you would need 50 amps of charging to get 200 AH back in.

I'm guessing about 60 sqft of panels...

Public math disclaimer applies...

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Sorry I stopped watching when Mr. Fix It described Ah ratings as related to deep cycle batteries incorrectly....... If you start with an incorrect definition of an Ah rating, all else is incorrect also.... Wow...
Please explain so I have the rite info.

Feb 6, 1998
Please explain so I have the rite info.
Batteries are not rated at 1A. His whole premise was incorrect based on a typographical error on some Wal*Mart batteries.

Deep cycle marine batteries are rated in Ah capacity at a 20 hour rating. They may also have a 10 hour or 1 hour or 100hour rating but the rating on the sticker is almost always the 20 hour rate.

The 20 hour rate is:

Ah capacity / 20 = XX

A 100Ah battery is only a 100Ah battery with a 5A load at 77F when continuously discharged to 10.5V at 5A.

A 200Ah battery is only a 200Ah battery with a 10A load at 77F when continuously discharged to 10.5V at 10A.

A 375Ah battery (see below) is only a 375Ah battery with a 18.75A load at 77F when continuously discharged to 10.5V at 18.75A.

As can clearly be seen the Ah rating is at 20 hours. Any discharge rate above the 20 hour rate of 18.75A shrinks the battery capacity. Any load below the 20 hour rate can increase the bank capacity.

Beyond that every lead acid battery maker, other than Firefly, recommend a maximum depth of discharge, in a cycling application of 50%.

Due to declining charge acceptance, once at absorption voltage, it is pretty rare that you would be able to charge back above 80-85% SOC, on a sailboat when out cruising, thus your real usable capacity is just 30-35% of the actual Ah rating.

This means the actual usable capacity, from a 200Ah battery bank, is 60-70Ah's when out cruising or 100Ah when fresh off 100% charge from the shore charger. Course this is only if the discharge rate remains below 10A and the batteries are actually healthy enough to deliver their capacity rating. If you apply a 30A load you will get considerably less usable capacity than you would below 10A...

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Depends on how long you wanted it to run. Dometic makes a DC powered 3500 BTU/hr cabin-cooler that is designed to cool down a stateroom. Runs off a dedicated battery back. Draws 29 amps, so do the math about how long you would want it to run, and how much charging capability you would need to get it re-loaded.

http://www2.dometic.com/bd10b370-ad73-44f7-a491-9d1459e03737.fodoc

As other have noted without a detailed energy budget the discussion is meaningless.
3,500 BTUs of cooling power in the middle of summer in the Gulf Coast, you have to be kidding....