Battery bank locations........

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
hello all!

So thinking about upgrading batteries.... currently house is two 4d lifeline agms locates in front of engine (tight fit). However I want to break away from the 4ds and move to 6v. Also would not mind increasing bank size..... that being said is it acceptable to have your house bank split between two locations...... say some in present place and some 10 feet away as I do have available space in other areas.

Thanks

Greg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
My boat has two batteries forward and two aft, plus a starter battery there as well. I believe the forward batteries were installed to support the windlass. As long as you have sufficiently-sized wire connecting the banks, you should be fine.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes, make certain the battery cables are large enough to reduce any voltage drop.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
One of the inputs to a fancy battery charger, is battery temperature. So now you will have a warm set of batteries by the engine and a cool set of batteries somewhere else. One set will be less then optimally charged. I don't know how significant that effect will be. There must be some kind of chant to invoke Maine Sail

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I do fully agree..... regulator will slow down. In my case very well vented. I ha e to take temp next long run..... downside of engine compartment batteries

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the alternator is going to be the primary source of charging, then battery placement in the engine room will be an issue. However, if the alternator is an internally regulated automotive style this will be less of an issue. Also, if solar or shore power is the primary charing source, the alternator charging will be less of an issue.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
A combination and hopefully weighted more to solar

Greg