Battery acid on the teak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
This is more of a warning than a question. While my boat was "away", it in Florida and me in Ohio, a battery leaked. Unfortunately this was a battery in the clock of my bulkhead mounted clock right above my barometer. It is hard to see in the pictures but it left a deep black streak down the bulkhead. So deep that sanding has had little affect. Not sure how deep I will have to go to remove it. Maybe the answer is a long tapestry hanging on that bulkhead. :neutral:

Attachments

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Battery acid on the teak

No pretty, Ed.

I had a similar battery acid staining from a Gr 27 lead acid battery that I set on a teak cabinet top to recharge. Not a smart move, some of the acid got on the teak and stained a small area similar to your problem.

I used some bleach on the area to lighten the stain and immediate area, then numerous coats of Daily's Sea-Fin teak oil.
Not a perfect fix by any means, but a significant improvement.
Hopefully someone has a better fix.

JohnS

Sep 25, 2008
Islander (Wayfarer/McGlasson) 32 St Georges Harbor
It's been a while, but I used to use a two-part teak cleaner kit, and part one was a acidic solution that darkened the wood, and part two was a neutralizer that restored the color . Don't remember the brand name, but I wonder if a chemical solution would be better than sanding away the wood.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Hi Ed:

Amazing how this sort totally unexpected type of bad joss happens. (Even to my "try-my-best" me more than I would like to admit to.)

That section of teak. Is it an isolated panel separate from anything else? If so, remove any metal fasteners that might be going through it and give thought to doing an acid wash to the entire panel. First use a finish remover to restore to bare wood. Then the oxalic acid. Maybe many times. Then wash with water well and refinish. I expect that you will still have evidence of the damage. But maybe not so noticeable unless you hunt for it. Here is a $1.00 oxalic acid product I have had good success with for many projects. Even removes the tannin stains from my hull's water-line area! Restores the gelcoat (what's left of it after 30 years) to factory white.

http://www.dollartree.com/school-of...aner/291c438c438p6065/index.pro?method=search

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Could use a pressure sensitive self adhesive veneer and finish to match existing. Not cheap but works well. 1/32-1/16" thick

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2213&Max=999
..... or a full veneer repair, an 'inlay repair' or total replacement of the planking.

Sulphuric acid and most other strong oxidizing acids dissolve / liquify the wood cellulose.

If you have 'good' insurance ..... .

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Given that the battery was inside a wall mounted clock I'd venture that it was a dry cell battery. I wonder if, when they leak liquid, that it actually is sulphuric acid? I know that it is a fairly strong acid but which one it is I do not know. Perhaps RichH does.
I'm pretty sure that the liquid electrolyte in wet cell batteries is actually sulphuric acid.

PITA to make it aesthetically right again whichever way you go.

Good luck.

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
I thought most disposable batteries were alkali based....instead of acid. Not that it matters....damage is done...but to neutralize, you need to use an acid.........get the ph back to neutral......been to many years since chemistry 101-104

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Actually the 'electrolyte' in dry cells is a 'paste' of ammonium chloride, in the 'alkaline' version its zinc chloride. .... and your going to get the same effect as strong inorganic acids - softening and solublizing of the fibers.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Thanks for the good ideas guys. It used to be a large and very nice bulkhead. Seen here on the way to Florida. You can just make out the bottom of the barometer. That's Mike Alge, my crew in the Erie Canal. Seems so serious.

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Not acid. Alkaline batteries leak KOH. You need an acid oxalic to neutralize, and lighten the dark wood stain. Then on to refinishing.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter Cherubim 33-77-82 (1980) Pebble Isl, Johnsonville, TN
Ed's acid on Teak...

Might try baking soda and water solution... rodh

May 23, 2004
Catalina 30 Stockton, CA
Faux Finish

There are experts at faux painting who can paint this in a way that it will match the surrounding area once a finish is applied to the bulkhead as a whole. I had a walnut desk at work that was dinged pretty bad in moving. The repairman, patched it with Bondo and painted the repair with oil paints so that I was unable to spot the repair from more than a foot or so away. Local antique furniture stores could probably direct you to a craftsman with the requisite skills.

You didn't say how large the damaged area was, but, if it's not too large and failing all else, I'd mount a clock and barometer on a nice teak board with routed edges and fasten it to the bulkhead, covering the damage.

Dec 27, 2011
Hughes Northstar 80-20 ketch Kemah
One suggestion - may be a long shot but might be worth it. If the battery that leaked is from a reputable manufacturer (i.e. Duracell or Everready, etc.) they might have some culpability in the repairs to your bulkhead and your clock too. Take some better pix of the clock anbd bulkhead and send them to whichever mfr for an evaluation

Sep 11, 2012
Catalina 22 pop top Arcadia MI
I would try lacquer thinner in the stained area and rub gently with steel wool. Then I would find a stain that would match the bulk head. then finish with a sealer to match the finish. Remember to ventilate while using the lacquer thinner. This works on cleaning almost all wood.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I would try lacquer thinner in the stained area and rub gently with steel wool. Then I would find a stain that would match the bulk head. then finish with a sealer to match the finish. Remember to ventilate while using the lacquer thinner. This works on cleaning almost all wood.
might want to use SS wool or bronze wool instead of steel as the fibers in the steel wool will embed in the wood and ultimately rust...

regards

woody

Sep 11, 2012
Catalina 22 pop top Arcadia MI
Make the steel wool 00 or 000 and you won't have any problem when you follow up with a tack cloth.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Hang a flat screen TV there and call it a day.......I'll never tell anyone about the stain behind the TV mount

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
There are experts at faux painting who can paint this in a way that it will match the surrounding area once a finish is applied to the bulkhead as a whole. I had a walnut desk at work that was dinged pretty bad in moving. The repairman, patched it with Bondo and painted the repair with oil paints so that I was unable to spot the repair from more than a foot or so away. Local antique furniture stores could probably direct you to a craftsman with the requisite skills.

You didn't say how large the damaged area was, but, if it's not too large and failing all else, I'd mount a clock and barometer on a nice teak board with routed edges and fasten it to the bulkhead, covering the damage.[/quote]

I also like the flat screen TV idea. If the stain can be seen from the side mount a board over it for "added strength". Possibly have it hooked to the gps and plotter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.