Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
- - Long Beach, NY
I would like to replace my current batteries with AGM's. According to the latest issue of Practical Sailor they said that you need a special alternator to use these types of batteries. I have the proper on-board charger that will charge AGM's. Is this correct, and how would one modify the standard Universal M25XP alternator or charging system.

Ray

Mar 10, 2006
Hunter 26 Kettle Falls Wa.
The advantage of using AGM's.

We installed AGM's in our IP38 after using Gel batteries for 12 years. Gel batteries require a longer and lower charge rate than lead acid or AGM batteries, thus longer engine or generator runs. AGM's can be charged at the faster rate similar to lead acid. Your inverter should handle the new rate or be programable for such. The alternator is the same for all uses. We had a 120 amp alternator instead of the std. 65 amp. Larger alternators than 110 amps usually require dual drive belts. We found that our 200 watts of solar and AirX wind gen supplied 80 to 90% of our power needs while cruising the Carribean and Gulf. Short runs of the engine when moving the boat did the rest. Ray

J

John

batterys

HI chief You can use AGM batterys with your ALT and charging system.The thing is the AGMs work better with a three stage Regulater with smart chargeing . The size of the ALT depends on the size of the battery bank.I think that you could charge a 300 AMP house bank and add a battery combiner to charge the starting battery.A large alt onley gives you alot of juce untill things heet up then the volts get cut way down buy the regulator.I use solar pannals to charge my house bank and in the sun my alt dosent even kick in. John

Status
Not open for further replies.