Batteries

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
Time to replace the three 4D house batteries in my 41DS. Any suggested brands/ venders would be appreciated. I'm in Ventura CA. Current 4D's are AGM's but would consider lead acid as well.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto AGM's.......but the forum will offer their recommendation and why they chose them. In the meantime do a search on "batteries" on this forum and the internet and you will find many threads on this subject.

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I replaced my three old 4D gel batteries last summer with 200AH AGM's from Renogy last summer. Couldn't be happier so far.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
All batteries according to their type are mostly created equal. Most of the time the difference in price for batteries off the same production line is in the length and terms of their warranty. It might be time to reassess the size of your battery banks needs according to the boats usage and equipment. I like to purchase batteries from a national retailer as it facilitates exchanges irrespective of where I may be. Not all retailers handle manufacturer's warranties for batteries not purchased at their location. Read the warranty, is it full, prorated and for how many years? AGMs are basically sealed and leak resistant lead acid batteries and they have advantages and disadvantages when compared to regular lead acid ones. Either type of battery with proper maintenance could give 5 to 6 years of service. Having a generator can largely impact the size of the battery bank. An honest appraisal of your battery maintenance regime may point to one or the other.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Just replaced our AGM’s last month. Three 4D’s. The last ones were 15 years old. I think they are worth the extra$.

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
I decided on West Marine(East Penn) 8G4D Gels.
Charging offshore will not be ideal with my system- 100Amp alternator, no generator, but we seldom are off shore power for more than 2-3 days so should be OK.
Pricey, even with a discount! Time will tell if this was the right way to go.

Thanks again for all the inputs!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
You might want to consider an alternator upgrade with a programmable voltage regulator, to OEM alternator on our boats doesn't perform very well. I know the meaning of BOAT....... serpentine belt upgrade, Balmar 150 Amp alternator with an Balmar MC-614 programmable voltage regulator, might as well give those new batteries a chance at longer life.