Batteries for Hunter 37 80 model Cherubini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2009
2 37-cutter Slidell
What type, size, make, model batteries should be used? The batteries need replacing and I suspect the wrong ones may be installed. What is the normal life cycle of the batteries?

I have a Yanmar 3QM30 engine, an ac/dc refrig, 2 vhf radios, 2 fans, am/fm stereo, radar, gps, autopilot and the normal complement of instruments and lights.

There are two Perko switches and 4 batteries. I don't know how they are wired.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There is no one correct answer as there are as many options as there are people or boats. Having said that, here are a few suggestions:
1. Figure out what your typical power draw is while off shore power, i.e., what does everything you typically use draw?
2. How long is your typical cruise, i.e., day sail, overnight on the hook, etc
3. Combine #1 and #2 to determine what your actual expected power requirement is - double that for designing your new house bank capacity.
4. What is the rating of your alternator as this effects how quickly you can recharge - a bank of batteries too large will never be fully recharged thereby causing premature failure of the batteries. Is your alternator big enough for an adequately sized house bank?
5. Figure out how your existing setup is wired as if it doesn't meet your current needs, you might want to change it eliminating the switches and isolating separate start and house banks. This may also require rethinking how each is charged both from the alternator and shorepower charger.

Apr 5, 2009
2 37-cutter Slidell
Thanks, the battery charger is 40 amp. There are also 2 batteries for starting the generator with a separate 15 amp charger. What batteries should be used for starting the generator?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can't imagine why you would need two batteries to start a genset. It's essentially a small (diesel?) motor which any automobile-type start battery should handle and it need not be matched to the same chemistry as the others as you have it on it's own charger.

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
smitty, are we talking 12 or 6 volt batteries, how many holes in the top of each battery?

Just curious, where is the gen set located?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Smitty: I believe that Stu Jackson has done a power requirement check list. I would suggest that you start there and determine how much power you need. This is the first step. I cannot imagine why you would need anything other than one battery to start the Genset & the Engine with the potential to start either one from another source.

The H37'C has a great bilge to store batteries. I would suggest that you consider moving all of your house keeping batteries to a location in the bilge area. You would need a shelf and battery boxes, but you could have a very large bank in that area with all of the weight in a proper location.

Once you know your power requirements you can determine what type of battery bank would best suit your needs.

If you are good with maintenance and don't mind servicing your batteries on a regular basis (at least monthly) flooded batteries may be your best choice. If you are not good with regular maintenance, I would suggest that you look at Gel or AGM batteries. If you decide to go with something other than flooded batteries, you may need to see if you have the proper charger. Some of the newer chargers actually allow different battery chemistries on the same charger.

Do your homework and everyone will be able to assist you in making your decision. Be sure to put together a budget too. Battery banks can get expensive very quick. Replacing batteries can also get very expensive if you make some bad decisions.

Apr 5, 2009
2 37-cutter Slidell
They are 12 volt, 3 holes.

Northern Lights 5 kw genset is located in the starboard lazerette along with it's two starting batteries.

The other four batteries are located in the port berth area along with a lot of stuff such as cabin seat cushions and tools.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Cannot imagine losing that locker to a genset, I keep so much stuff in there. My start battery and three of four house batteries are in that locker, all AGMs. I have a fourth in the bilge. Steve is right about the bilge but only if you are NOT a shoal draft. With two bilge pumps, shower sump, and the A/C plumbing there is only room for one.

There have been many wiring discussions on this board over the years promoting the two battery switch idea. I prefer the KISS principal but maybe you need it with the genset. My start battery is on #1 and the house on #2. I have a battery combiner that allows the charging system to keep both sets topped off.

Apr 3, 2007
H37 Cutter 37c L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I have 2 L-16 6v deep cycle house batteries in the bilge and one G27 starting battery in the lazarette. The advantage of the bilge is that checking the electrolyte is much easier.

Attachments

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
Other than room to put them in batteries have more to do with the sailor's needs than with the boat model. With a 5kw genset at your disposal a large bank of batteries is optional. If your batteries have 3 filler holes then they are 6V. Two 6V batteries connected in series provide 12V. Golf Cart type batteries are frequently used because of their low cost and high amp capacity. Rather inexpensive lead acid batteries should last between 3 to 5 years if used lightly, not abused and properly maintained. I would recommend that you figure out and understand your current system before making any changes. Like others have mentioned you should conduct a power survey to determine your needs as your needs and ability to recharge will determine the number or capacity of the batteries needed. Do your homework, understand your system and study how batteries work and their different types. The PO installation may not necessarily be best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.