Batteries and Chargers Again

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
When I bought my boat in 2013 it came with 2 AGM batteries and a 2 stage charger that looks like original equipment from 1997. This was puzzling. I knew I would have to deal with that eventually but there were many more urgent boat issues which required more immediate attention. I decided I would deal with the batteries and charger as a system once something broke. So at the end of my last sail I my #2 battery read 10.8 volts and it appeared it lost a cell. I have no idea how old these batteries are and may have lived a long life and died a natural death as far as I know.
After searching this forum and looking at prices I decided I am not going to waste good money on AGM batteries and will replace them with lead acid batteries. My electrical budget supports that decision as well.
My question is about the charger. As much as it pains me to replace what I consider a perfectly good charger I read enough here that one of the new high tech chargers may be in order. A 10 amp charger will be fine. I have two 79 AH group 24 batteries and an unknown charger whose picture is attached.
From your experiences and knowledge what brand of charger would you recommend? What brand should I avoid? Is the charger I have OK? Am I overthinking this? All wisdom and experience is most welcome

IMG_20150701_100550896.jpgIMG_20150701_100525071.jpgIMG_20150701_095353032_HDR.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Steve,

No, you're not over thinking this. The first question is how long do you intend to keep the boat? If you are selling it next year, put a couple of cheap Group 24s in it and call it a day.

The longer you plan to own the boat, the more it pays to invest in a better charger as it will slow the demise of the batteries. The rule of thumb is the charger should be sized to 10% of the bank capacity plus a little extra to handle dockside loads such as refrigeration, stereo, lights etc. For your set up a 20 amp charger would be a better size.

Maine Sail (see his forum on SBO) is a fan of the Sterling/Promariner chargers. Check with him on his website MarineHowto.com for pricing.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Dave. Thanks very much for your reply. I checked Maine's site and the 20 amp charger that is featured is priced better than anything comparable and I have been beating up the internet for the past 2 days. I now have to decide how long I am keeping the boat. Thanks very much for your help!
-Steve

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Dave. Thanks very much for your reply. I checked Maine's site and the 20 amp charger that is featured is priced better than anything comparable and I have been beating up the internet for the past 2 days. I now have to decide how long I am keeping the boat. Thanks very much for your help!
-Steve
Last time at Bacons, they had a used Xantrex 20, which is what came as OEM on my B32 . Don't recall the price, though.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steve.
I know the challenge you are facing. I stressed over it in late 2015 7 months after getting my boat. Decided to go with Maine Sail's charger after many hours searching the options. It was a very good deal. Great product and terrific service. Arrived in no time. I did not immediately install it thinking I would do the install and all the needed electrical upgrade at the same time. Not using the boat for the first 7 months of 2016 meant the battery system was not an issue. Then the two (well aged G24's) from previous owners gave up the ghost. Ok... Picked up some Cheap Grp24's , Maybe I can get by till 2017. Winter is coming and it will be project time. Then the charger died and took the two batteries to 0.
Ok now I gotta do something. Pulled the charger out of the box. Got it installed while I took the batteries to a local shop to see if they could shock them back to life.
Install went smoothly. Batteries came back. All was good again. Love the charger.
Sounds like your in the spot where you just have to go for it.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Yup. I pretty much settled on the Sterling/Promariner charger. Thanks very much for the reassurance. I bought the batteries today at a Batteries and Bulbs store. They had the best prices on group 24 wet cells. Now that I already started spending on batteries the charger does not seem that daunting. When added to the new Bimini (1K), new windows (600) and an upcoming gelcoat repair (God knows how much) this does not seem to be such a big dent. I am also considering splurging for the remote control. You are right. Sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Ron. I love Bacons but every time I go in for one item I leave with a pile of others that I also "needed". Also given the cost in time that it takes to install a charger, the cost savings of a used device that may or may not last is not significant. After I retire I am sure that attitude will change.

Jan 11, 2014
I am also considering splurging for the remote control.
When I installed a Promariner Pronautic I bought the remote thinking that it was a remote control, it isn't. It is a remote monitor. I'm still happy I have it, with the remote panel you get a good sense about the charging profiles MaineSail talks about. Also gives a voltage reading, battery temp, and amps going into the battery.

But you can't change the charge profiles from the remote.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
That's good to know. One of my biggest concerns is the complexity of the device. In the event it loses its mind you will have to reprogram it. Reprogramming it will be a problem as it will be mounted in a far corner of a locker.
Did your unit ever lose its programming?

Jan 11, 2014
So far my charger has not lost its programming, but I'm not sure I can say the same about its owner.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
Just to finish off this thread I bought and installed the Sterling Ultra Pro 20 from Compass Marine and it works well. Slight issue with the temp sensor but that may be operator error. I'm calling this one done. On to the next one....