Battens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2009
Catalina 309 Marion, MA
Just purchased a slightly used 309 and the furling main has no battens. I'd be interested in pro and con feedback of adding full vertical battens.

Thanks,

Joe1924:confused:

Apr 6, 2009
2 309 Frog Motar Creek
The standard cruising furling main is cut with a shallow leach, and does not really require battens as there is no roach to support. If you are experiancing any fluttering you should be able to control via the leach tension line.

Nov 7, 2009
Catalina 309 Marion, MA
Thanks for the reply. Yesterday I discussed this issue with Doyle Sails. They checked my mast and determined that the opening is not wide enough to accommodate battens. End of discussion!!

Joe1924

Apr 6, 2009
2 309 Frog Motar Creek
Interesting as the sailmaker who made me a vertical battened main for my 309 in 06 works for doyle in Annapolis.

Nov 7, 2009
Catalina 309 Marion, MA
Interesting as the sailmaker who made me a vertical battened main for my 309 in 06 works for doyle in Annapolis.

Interesting. Do you know the width of the opening in your mast? I would think we would both have the same Seldon mast.

Joe 1924

Apr 6, 2009
2 309 Frog Motar Creek
No , but when the guy came to the boat he spend considerable time measuring the mast. The manual lists the opening as 3.0 centimeters. You can get manuals in PDF at. www.seldenmast.com navigate to manuals from the top of the page..

Status
Not open for further replies.