BattCharg/Knot Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Snell

Two problems. Never worked on a Battery Charger. I have a Guest 2830. Does anyone know how to test this. There are no lights on and the book says either no electricity to it or it is bad. The other is my knot meter. It is free turning and seems to be working in the water but no knot reading at guage. Is there a pick up inside the sending unit that the wheel turns in. Thanks.

J

John Van Wagoner

Guest battery charger failure

The battery charger you have is very susceptible to overheating. If this happens the diodes in the battery charger will be fried. If your charger is in a locker, even if it has ventilation, it will overheat and over a period of time will fail. If this happens you have no choice but to return it to Guest to be repaired. Use a voltmeter to check the output. Look at the bottom of the unit. The AC wires (white, black, green) come in at the bottom of the charger. Your DC wires are just above these. Each bank will have a red and black wire (+ and -) coming off the charger to the battery banks. If you have only one bank you will have only one set of wires. Touch your leads on the voltmeter to the appropriate DC output studs and see if he unit is putting out current. If not, chances you have lost the diodes. This happened to me and I had to install a freedom inverter/charger to get an effective charging unit that would work inside the locker of my 410 where Hunter mounted the Guest charger. Good luck and think about putting in a better unit, if the Guest has failed.

P

Pete

knot gauge

there is a transducer for the knot meter that has a paddle wheel and a "pick-up" that converts the paddle wheel revolutions to a electronic signal to the gauge. use a process of elimination to find what is bad (could possible be the gauge or wiring problem) I would look at the transducer first,they will go bad if the boat was hauled and the paddle wheel was pushed up and in (the wheel will still turn but won't send signal to gauge) by the lifting straps. Hope this helps Pete

B

Bob Grogan

Blown Fuse on the Charger

Open up the Guest Charger unit, Mine had a fuse inside. I called Guest and explained that the fuse was blown and they sent me several fuses. Guest wrote it off as a power surge.

R

Russ Garecht

Charger

I absolutely agree with Jonh. Replace the Guest with a Freedom. My charger failed TWO DAYS out of warrenty and Guest told me not to return it because they were not worth fixing. They recommended I buy a new one, I did, a Freedom. Russ Her Diamond Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.