barra de navidad, jalisco, mexico

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
ok so i am cruising in a different manner than others might do this.... but i am cruising so far, fromk mechanic to mechanic...
HOWEVER finding a diesel mechanic in pair a dice is a difficult chore.
many of the self proclaimed diesel mechanics in pair a dice a re rip offs and quacks. there is a huge DO NOT USE sign hanging over the head of the gringo in barra who allegedly performs diesel mechanicry. i am not using him, as i received 4 emails, prior to finding my repair guys, advising me against the use of his services. so i spoke with his pompous self and found he is not to be used. definitely. he wants minimum of 10,000 USDOLLARS to do work on an engine... fuggeddaboudid.....rodlmffao...
i found locals with talent, and so far, i have referred one other sailor to this mans services with mucho success... he is awesome. i have a team of workers.. amachinist, a mechanic, and a fuel pump guy, all are awesome.. the particularly awesome thing is the pricing.
javier, the fuel pump rebuilder, is particularly awesome. i have not found anyone so excellent at such a wondrous price for rebuilding mylift an d fuel injection pump and a transmission oil cooler heat exchanger for under 300 usd, total. he is now improving my fuel delivery system, ie, injection system,.
sr maestro diaz is my mechanic, and he is very knowledgeable on diesels. he now has a less pricey source for perkins parts and is in business in barra de navidad area in mexico. this area is no longer a famine place for diesel work.
anyone desiring the knowledge of names and numbers for these souls...please notiy me and i will refer to these wonderful individuals who do such good work.very acccountable and very reasonable.
my perkins 4-108 had such destruction inside..looked quite nice..no lipping nor scoring .. but the rest was absolutely twisted and toasted... only salvageable parts were cam crank and block, other than head and its contents... the pix said many stories..
when you suffer runaway diesel, anything can be found inside the block. can be eoither awesome lucky with little damages...but i think, now tat i have suffered this problem, i would rather have had a detonation that this quietly done apocolyptic destruction of the entire interior workings of the ka lunk engine... no wonder the damthing only sed ka lunk to me when we tried to start it..
my total price for engine rebuild, complete, and all installation etc, is to be 28000 pesos at 12.5 to one. for less than the price i paid for a used engine i am gaining a brand new one complete with injector pump,newly rebuilt, and all.....whoooot....
add the 250usd that i paid for rebuilding the pumps and heat exchanger, and it is still less than used engine in usa.
btw, a friend found a perkins 4-107 in mazatlan for 1500 usd.....

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good to hear that you found some good folks, Zee.. Great to hear that you are pressing on!. It truly is an adventure.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
+1 always happy to hear positive things from zee, keep on keepin on girl.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
ok so i was advised that three days after my machinist gets the remainder of all the money i has left in earth, err, a fraction of it, anyway, w ehave engine... parts were loong time coming, but are from alex at tradewinds, air freight...and after engine is installed, we make a tank.... large and built in using i think fiberglass......
grande total for engine repair....which, btw is a very COMPLETE rebuuild, injector pump rebuild , complete, lift pump rebuild, heat exchanger(trans) rebuild, and install inclusive of machinework is gonna be a whopping...omygods....2500usd... that is all, folks...rodlmffao.\
and for htose who insist on using gringo mechanics, err, alleged mechanics here, DO NOT DO IT!!!!! you WILL be ripped off.
my mexican team is awesome and has many years of experience at NOT fleecing anyone. they are still unaffected by the massive amount of gringo tomfoolery that happens in mexico..every one of the alleged mechanics who speaks english has proven to be a major con. aint goin there. no mas.
seems gringos come to mexico to fleece other gringos who know not better.. beware.

did i compare here my inner workings of my ka lunk with the erector set that was run over by a train????? is exactly what it looked like inside..thank gods no boom, as boom was block holing..lol so we are able to use cam, crank, and block..lol..and head is being machined....
engine ka lunk will be entirely brand new... will last forever.. next one, after i destroy the new one is a 154.... want hp...mebbe a newer prop design.... something...

Feb 11, 2006
Hunter 34 Galveston,Texas
Been there many times.plenty of dirtbag locals as well.Blanket statements don't work. You really have worn out the "Gringo" thing.Can you let that go?

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
hahahaha place here is a lil better than mebbe you remember

as for "letting the gringo thing go", when gringos cease the gringo activities and actions and attitudes, it will go away, but it will not fade away sweetly unless folks make some major changes in their attitudes and behaviors in mexico.

and so my bilges have been scrubbed clean , and i am now eating a pizza delivered to my boat from a restaurant in barra, things HAVE changed a lot since the past long agos here... it seems that if and when bandidos and folks who hurt the tourism economy are present in this small town, they are run out of town, and invited to not return...lol i love this place.

btw..i figured if locals can have pizza delivered , so can i.

ka lunk returns home this month

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
ok.
so i has a update on my loverly and awesomest of ka lunks..
it is in engine bays now and runs awesome well
fisrst day i heard it my brother passed. oops what a yin and yang day, so right now i am writing from phoenix , az. i dont like it here. i like tropics best. more wet-i am gonna dry up here and blow away!!!
and so the second time we ran it was awesomest, as we now need to make a tank for fuel, which we willmake of fg, in place.
then i will make 2 steel water tanks and make the old 49 gallon water tanks additional fuel. ok so i will be able to motor to hawaii when done, but i will go to panama instead, after mizzen step, haul out and .....
as i am using a brand new puter i havent pix of my treasured beastie yet, but i will post some as soon as i am again home with a puter that has allll i need pix wise..
color--purple and green with a beautifully mixed up air cleaner.... looks like a hippie mushroom...
phoenix is phoenix.
norbert has been harassing my boat and bubba in barra, rained for 2-3 days so far, and boatsitter is soaked. so is barra!! much needed rain, as we havent had our usual slide bys--they went to sea.
i will post more when i get home, after sunday....unless i find something to writeabout in between...
bought new puter so i has been flustrated with sign ins..lol..i am such an illitrut puterite!

am looking forward to sailing again as i soo miss our ocean!!

please let me putin aplug for my awesome mexican mechanic--is excellent diesel guy and has awesome good electrician and other repair folks so barra is no longer a wasteland for sailors needing repairs.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
glad everything is ok for you in the engine department....been wondering where and what you were doing...sorry for you about your brother ...keep us posted

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
conrary to public rumors and wishes and opinions, i am not killeded in a furycame. we floated thru just fine n dandy. pooor cabo and la paz and baja... but this was the exact reason i chose not to summer with the rest of the gringos in soc... is nice in tropical mexico where the named storms usually merely slide on by and wet the ground madly with mild breezes almost sail able.....
we hoping this trend of us being the drive by victims rather then the direct hit victims continues until well after i leave here
btw engine sounds awesome!!!! next thing is tankage fro diesel and mizzen step, then off to banderas bay just north o fme for re repair of jib that was screwed up by mike, aka north sails la cruz(do NOT use him ever. use tony in la cruz.) then to mazatlan fo rhaul out. boat allowing.. this one has definite opinions which require attention

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Glad you're ok, just got a little worried when you hadn't posted for a couple of weeks. The news up here is a little skimpy on details but big on drama. They make is sound like the whole west coast of Baja is getting slammed.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
lol it was. biiig time. east coast of baja also. entire baja. folks missing fro abit, dont know if all found, and boats sunk, relocated, and such wonders that never cease....
we fine down here.. so far....
news media call my area "near manzanillo"

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
This morning they flashed a picture of the boats piled up in Cabo.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
wow..all the megas that went to stay there?? or real boats, err, smaller cruiser type boats ??? any la paz or other locales?
cabo is the most moneyed part, so "should" make most news..