Barnegat Bay Yacht Clubs with 5 ft Draft

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Looking to plan a cruise including Barnegat Bay ... are there any Yacht Clubs In Forked River or south of Forked River that can accommodate 4 ft 8 inch draft and a fun, family atmosphere?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Forked River has plenty of marinas and a depth that will accomodate your boat. We had a 2000 H340 with a 4'6" draft and never got stuck. All marinas are on the northern forks of the river. There is/was a shallow spot just before you first come into and past the gas dock at Southwinds Marina (the first one you come to) but the rest of the river is clear. As to family fun, not sure what you are looking for but most places are bar and adult oriented, especially Southwinds Marina and Captain's Inn. None have a pool or other such ammenities. The further you go into the river, the closer your are to NJ Route 9 and shopping but it is still a long walk. Tall Oaks and Silver Cloud Marina on the north side are more quiet and friendly.
If you sail a little further south to the end of Barnegat Bay to Waretown, you can make it into Key Harbor Marina as long as the tide is with you and there has not been a long blowing west wind to dry up the channel. The marina has a beautiful pool and new restaurant but is a long way from local shopping for supplies. Just look for the big light green roof on the main restaurant and marina building as your come down the bay and enter the marked channel just to the south. There a few other stick markers around so find the ones that lead straight into the marina on its southern edge. Happy sailing!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
None have a pool or other such ammenities
I thought Silver Cloud had a pool, at least several years ago.
Agree on the other points that there's generally plenty of water in the river for that draft. Just stay along the northern dock going past South winds and the rest should be fine.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Silver Cloud has a pool at one of its four marinas but I believe that is a slip members only facilitywith an annual membership. You could call ahead to check 609-693-2145.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Silver Cloud is a nice well equipped marina, had my boat there for a couple of years. I think johmT1594 is right about the pool though. Give them a call to double check.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Light house point marina Toms river
Has large in ground Olympic size pool, arcade, pool side bar for the adults that is open Friday Saturday Sunday with live music Saturday's. Lots of restaurants with in walking distance plus a few dock and dine options.

Last edited:
May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Thanks everyone … helpful as always … Other than Toms River Yacht Club and Seaside Park Yacht Club, which were a bit further north than what I wanted, I couldn't think of a deep water, large sailboat Yacht Club in the Southern Barnegat Bay. Nice to know about the marina options. Sounds like Lighthouse has come a long way since what I remember from the early 1990's. Will definitely check out Silver Cloud and Key Harbor.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Key Harbor is very nice and you should have no problem getting in there. There are not a lot of sailboats in there; however, it is primarily power boats. The pump-out facility is free and very convenient. I use it all the time and I've neve noticed any depth less than 6' coming into that channel. I haven't been in the restaurant. The green roof is visible for a couple of miles at least, so there is no problem finding it. I don't know what they have available for transients

Last fall, there was a lot of dredging done at the south end of the bay and Mariner's Marina has been reaching out to a lot of former customers of deep keel sailboats with the news that the channel has been dredged out. With my 3.67 draft, I never had any problem in Double Creek Channel and I didn't often see depth less than about 5.5'. Supposedly, it is much improved and you should have access. It also appears that Double Creek Channel leading toward the inlet is now open. This will cut our distance to Barnegat Light in half by not having to go all the way north to Oyster Creek Channel. We're pretty quiet down at the south end and Barnegat is a nice little town area. If you bring bikes it is not far. Mariners has a lot of transient slips, it seems.