Bare lead keel prep

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The fairing compound on my lead keep has debonded from the lead and will need to be redone. I also have some areas lower on the keel where the lead was exposed when I was scraping the bottom paint. What do you need to do to to bare lead before you lay on fiberglass or epoxy, fairing compound and paint?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Clean the lead to remove any loose paint and contaminants.

Wire brush the lead to rough up the surface. Coat with neat epoxy and wire brush the epoxy to the lead.

Fair with your favorite underwater epoxy fairing compound.

The most important part is doing this relatively quickly. Do not wait between steps. Better to do a few small sections than wait to do the whole keel at once.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Here’s what Interlux recommends:

Fairing keels and underwater metals with InterProtect 2000E
1. If fairing is necessary, allow first coat of InterProtect 2000E to dry for at least 4 hours and apply Watertite Epoxy Filleror Interfill® 830 Fairing Compound. Ensure the fairing compound is cured and sanded with 80 grit paperprior to proceeding with more primer.
2. Once area is fair apply 2 more coats of InterProtect 2000E, allowing the appropriate dry times.

(Instructions from page 12 of https://www.international-yachtpaint.com/s3/documents/Guidance/interprotect-guide.pdf )

Just be sure the lead is freshly sanded to remove any oxidation. It will quickly dull and prevent good adhesion. Obviously wear serious PPE for lead work.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I won't be using 2000e because I have at most 10SF to cover so I plan to use West System epoxy.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I won't be using 2000e because I have at most 10SF to cover so I plan to use West System epoxy.
Same concepts should apply. The number of coats may differ, but the general idea of a layer of epoxy to encapsulate the keel, then fairing compound, then epoxy as a base for antifouling. No need for fiberglass in any of the steps - nothing about the repair is structural.