Barbecue Beefs

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I also keep the regulator on the bottle and store it that way. No issues with that. T
For what it's worth, we kept the regulator attached to the bottle one night and stored it in the laz with the other spare bottles. Later that evening there was a strong smell or propane in the cabin. I ran up to the laz and found the regulator was leaking. We spent the rest of the evening trying to air out the cabin but I've been worried ever since about residual propane down in the bilge. I won't ever store propane with the regulator attached again.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Thanks D

Thanks Rich. I love your custom PVC propane holder but sadly I lack the skill and facilities to build something like that. Also, I have NEVER seem that propane bottle format up here in Canada. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Doug, an electric drill, a hacksaw and a trip to Home Depot will provide everything you need to fabricate a propane holder. Here are a couple of links discussing different ways to do it. I found the first link easy to follow when I built two of them several years ago. The holder works like a charm and I get a lot of positive comments about it.

STORING SMALL PROPANE BOTTLES

Propane tank questions

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Any chance you could share that recipe? It sounds delicious!
Sure. It was way to easy.
I found this on the grocery shelf.

I washed the chicken breast in water. Dried it. Sprayed lightly with olive oil. Placed in a bowl and covered with the sauce. Covered the bowl and let set for 30 minutes while warming the grill. Set grill at medium.

Place chicken in middle of hot grill. Close grill and check in 8-10 minutes. Pour glass of white wine. Flip and add sauce from bowl to cover chicken. Close. Pour glass of white wine.

Test chicken temp with digital thermometer. Remove when temp reaches done temp. I use 165F / 74C as a done point in the thick portion of the breast.

Set aside covered for a couple minutes while you serve up rest of meal.

White wine an Oregon Pinot Gris locally acquired.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Let me know how it turns out. We found it tasty. But maybe it was because we were sailing and had arrived at our anchorage after a 10 hour exciting cruise.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Let me know how it turns out. We found it tasty. But maybe it was because we were sailing and had arrived at our anchorage after a 10 hour exciting cruise.
Agreed. Food and wine somehow always taste so much better on the boat after a day of sailing. I'll let you know.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
On one of the hottest days on record in 2018, we grilled in Rockport Mass. under the awning.

Here's our set up. Grill and tank inboard on a Magma stanchion mount. Our deck box is used as a grilling table. That also holds our propane tanks. It has a big hole in the bottom and any gas goes overboard(due to high cockpit coamings).

It's tall enough to store the bottle with the regulator on. Spin the bottle upward and the regulator releases (or locks on) from the grill.

Tommy grilling Rockport Ma._.jpg

We must have the newer burner/regulator. The heat range is about perfect for my use.

Shrimp kabobs. Man, was that a hot day!

The following day was windless and we motored to Isle of Shoals. Later in the summer, we would find that the Gulf of Maine set it's water temperature record(I think it hit 70F, unheard of).

Rockport grilling 7-02 dinner is on.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The following day was windless and we motored to Isle of Shoals. Later in the summer, we would find that the Gulf of Maine set it's water temperature record(I think it hit 70F, unheard of).

View attachment 189802
Oh, REALLY, Tom, REALLY? PLASTIC wine glasses? How gouche. The Baccarat's all busted?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Thanks Claude. I like what you've done with your propane. Is that a custom bracket you've installed behind the tank? It looks like it's fixed to the rail by something more substantial than a zip-tie. Do you store the tank in that position full time? Or store it below when not in use. I'm really not sure of the regs in Canada for how a bottle (other than the little ones) must be secured and stored.
Hi Doug,
No special bracket ! The tank has a higher steel wall on about 1/2 it's circomference with a handle cut in it. Much like the regular 20 lbs tanks. I use the hole created by that handle and the ones in the bottom lip to run tie-wraps around the top and middle railing to hold the tank permanently sitting on the middle rail with the regulator staying on the BBQ and hose connected. The tank sits at a little bit of an angle but that is not an issue. Of course I have to cut the ties and disconnect the hose when I need to bring the tank to a regular refill station. And I remove the BBQ and the tank when storing the boat for the winter (just to avoid tempting looters). I am not aware of any regs for storing outside. Been installed like that for several years and never had any issues with Canadian or US CG or even the FWC in Florida when cruising down there.

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
After two or three glasses of wine everything tastes good :clap:. We like the new Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Reds are good but they stain the fiberglass:banghead:
Anyone use the lava rocks in their grill? I was curious if it makes a difference.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we carry the magma rail mount but also have the tripod 'feet' for it so it can go on a beach picnic. we also carry an australian cobb oven, a clever aus design that uses bbq bricks and will roast a whole chicken, veggies and potatoes while you drink 3 glasses of wine. the bottom of the cobb stays cool enough to put on a tile tray in the cockpit . ( just don't trip over it. ) we use it car camping too , it's so weird looking no one ever steals our dinner...