Balmar alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Legend Catawba Island, Ohio
Purchased a Balmar 100 amp alternator for our Hunter 37.5 after the Annapolis Boat show. Now, I talked to a boat electrician and he is suggesting the Balmar alternators have systematic problems; failing after 3-4 months, inconsistent charging... Does anyone out there have any opinions on these alternators? I thought these were a good fit for the Yanmar engines, but now I am a little skeptical about installing.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I had a Balmar alternator installed during my last refit (old alternator bracket was broken and couldn't be replaced). Haven't had a single problem with it over the past 6 months. I know Balmar has an excellent reputation.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Purchased a Balmar 100 amp alternator for our Hunter 37.5 after the Annapolis Boat show. Now, I talked to a boat electrician and he is suggesting the Balmar alternators have systematic problems; failing after 3-4 months, inconsistent charging... Does anyone out there have any opinions on these alternators? I thought these were a good fit for the Yanmar engines, but now I am a little skeptical about installing.

No this is not true. If he is seeing failures at 3-4 months then he may want to look into his installation practices. There is nothing inside a Balmar alt that makes it any different from any other high performance alternator...

Occasionally I see a bad Balmar regulator but most often due to the installation instructions not being followed, such as the reg being installed in an engine space.

Have I seen failed Balmar's? Yes, of course, but there is no alternator out there that I have not seen fail. If PROPERLY installed, the vast majority are not, then you should see many, many, many years of trouble free use....

I would be very curious to know just which HO alt he is trying to sell you?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have heard both arguments; I guess it depends on the personal experience of those that have installed them. I think no one may question that as far as reliability and longevity the OEM Hitachis are superior. A 55 AMP Hitachi is very good compromise for a small diesel auxiliary, it does not draw as much horsepower from the engine and pairs pretty well with the charge acceptance rate of wet cell batteries. Don't get me wrong if there is a real need for a higher output alternator Balmar probably offers one of the best alternatives. Quality and reliability are good, they do excel in performance and the prices are reasonable. I guess as long as you keep your old Hitachi in a sealed bag as a spare in case of emergency there would be no need to worry.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
In all due respect.

This guy is wrong.
Balmsr makes great stud. Perhaps some isolated incidents, but over:cry:all they are great

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
my 100 amp Balmar alternator and regulator are 12 years old, so 3-4 months thing is news to me

Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Legend Catawba Island, Ohio
Thanks everyone. Boat is on the hard and I brought the alternator home to do some research on installation. Not sure if this is something I can do myself or hire a professional.

Dec 13, 2010
Hunter 41 Marina Del Rey
I purchased a 912 series (small case) 100A Balmer alternator for my Hunter 41 back in 2004 when my boat was commissioned. The 912 turned out to be nothing more than a way overpriced, hopped up delco alternator painted white. This may be the alternator that the mechanic was referring to because I can tell you it certainly wasn't worth the $500+ that I paid for it because it only lasted about 7 months before failing or should I say frying itself. I got lots of excuses but in the end I was stuck with it and I was pissed.

Ended up taking it to a local rebuilder and they took it apart in front of me. I was not impressed at all. It had suffered multiple diode failure and burnt up internal wiring. The diodes were not the heavy duty ones that are available to rebuilders. Internal wiring was nothing more than factory stock for a 60A version and the 1/4-20 output stud was not going to handle a full 100A for long periods without getting hot. Bottom line Balmer just put in a larger rotor and stator to get 100A out and painted it white. I was ripped off.

I had my rebuilder use 10 guage solid copper wire to interconnect new heavy duty diodes and install a larger output stud. He also replaced the stator as the original Balmer one was also pretty fried. When he was done it put out about 130A. Put it back on the boat and it worked well for about a year and then seized! Took it off and back to the rebuilder. Turned out the rear bearing had seized. Odd, I thought but then the rebuilder told me that all the grease was gone from the bearing and it must have been running hot. Ah! So he replaced the bearing and used special hi temp synthetic grease and I installed the optional Balmer temp sensor so that the regulator could dial back the output if the alternator got too hot. That was 3+ years ago and all is still well today. I get a solid 110A of continuous output from it for hours on end to charge a bank of 4 4D 200Ah Lifeline AGM batteries.

Now, if I had just bought the same model GM alternator and had my rebuilder hop it up the total cost would have been about $100. The fundamental problem with the 912 alternator is that it has an open external fan in front and just doesn't move enough air through it to keep it cool when operating at high output for long periods of time.

I have a Balmer ARS-5 regulator which has been a fine and trouble free investment and I recommend it for any high capacity output alternator and I especially recommend the optional temp sensor for any alternator just to allow the regulator to keep the alternator from overheating.

All of this said - Balmer's current line of AT (small case, high output) alternators look better in that they seem to be better engineered and built specifically to their specifications rather than just hopping up off the shelf alternators. Unfortunately the AT series is INSANELY expensive at >$1700 !! Their 6 series alternators are also very expensive (typically $700+) but they do seem to be a much better engineered alternator than the older 921 series and they put out as much as 120A.

I have researched automotive alternators extensively and I can tell you there are very few that could do the job out of the box for several reasons. They would have to be adapted for mounting on a typical Yanmar engine and their internal regulator would need to be swapped out for a 'dummy' plug that would allow an external regulator to be used. Finally no automotive alternator has a specific ground lug in the case however, you can always ground directly to the pivot of the alternator bracket. Bottom line - you would need access to catalogs and related tech specs for alternators, good mechanical and electrical knowledge and a good alternator supplier in order to experiment and this is where the $700+ for a 6 series Balmer alternator just makes you sigh heavily and write the check. Although I live in Los Angeles and have the resources available I don't really want to make more work for myself. As long as the 912 keeps going I'm going to leave well enough alone.

Feb 6, 1998
I purchased a 912 series (small case) 100A Balmer alternator for my Hunter 41 back in 2004 when my boat was commissioned. The 912 turned out to be nothing more than a way overpriced, hopped up delco alternator painted white. This may be the alternator that the mechanic was referring to because I can tell you it certainly wasn't worth the $500+ that I paid for it because it only lasted about 7 months before failing or should I say frying itself. I got lots of excuses but in the end I was stuck with it and I was pissed.

Ended up taking it to a local rebuilder and they took it apart in front of me. I was not impressed at all. It had suffered multiple diode failure and burnt up internal wiring. The diodes were not the heavy duty ones that are available to rebuilders. Internal wiring was nothing more than factory stock for a 60A version and the 1/4-20 output stud was not going to handle a full 100A for long periods without getting hot. Bottom line Balmer just put in a larger rotor and stator to get 100A out and painted it white. I was ripped off.

I had my rebuilder use 10 guage solid copper wire to interconnect new heavy duty diodes and install a larger output stud. He also replaced the stator as the original Balmer one was also pretty fried. When he was done it put out about 130A. Put it back on the boat and it worked well for about a year and then seized! Took it off and back to the rebuilder. Turned out the rear bearing had seized. Odd, I thought but then the rebuilder told me that all the grease was gone from the bearing and it must have been running hot. Ah! So he replaced the bearing and used special hi temp synthetic grease and I installed the optional Balmer temp sensor so that the regulator could dial back the output if the alternator got too hot. That was 3+ years ago and all is still well today. I get a solid 110A of continuous output from it for hours on end to charge a bank of 4 4D 200Ah Lifeline AGM batteries.

Now, if I had just bought the same model GM alternator and had my rebuilder hop it up the total cost would have been about $100. The fundamental problem with the 912 alternator is that it has an open external fan in front and just doesn't move enough air through it to keep it cool when operating at high output for long periods of time.

I have a Balmer ARS-5 regulator which has been a fine and trouble free investment and I recommend it for any high capacity output alternator and I especially recommend the optional temp sensor for any alternator just to allow the regulator to keep the alternator from overheating.

All of this said - Balmer's current line of AT (small case, high output) alternators look better in that they seem to be better engineered and built specifically to their specifications rather than just hopping up off the shelf alternators. Unfortunately the AT series is INSANELY expensive at >$1700 !! Their 6 series alternators are also very expensive (typically $700+) but they do seem to be a much better engineered alternator than the older 921 series and they put out as much as 120A.

I have researched automotive alternators extensively and I can tell you there are very few that could do the job out of the box for several reasons. They would have to be adapted for mounting on a typical Yanmar engine and their internal regulator would need to be swapped out for a 'dummy' plug that would allow an external regulator to be used. Finally no automotive alternator has a specific ground lug in the case however, you can always ground directly to the pivot of the alternator bracket. Bottom line - you would need access to catalogs and related tech specs for alternators, good mechanical and electrical knowledge and a good alternator supplier in order to experiment and this is where the $700+ for a 6 series Balmer alternator just makes you sigh heavily and write the check. Although I live in Los Angeles and have the resources available I don't really want to make more work for myself. As long as the 912 keeps going I'm going to leave well enough alone.
Charging 840 Ah's of Lifeline AGM batteries with no alternator temp sensing is absolutely not the fault of the alternator being poorly built.....:eek: You would have fried even the biggest baddest alternator on the planet doing that on a boat with no temp sensing or no current limiting of the alt.

Every single high performance small case alternator on the market is based on an "off the shelf" alternator case. You have to start somewhere and offsets and case sizes need to be somewhat standardized. It does not however mean they are off the shelf.

Balmar used to use Leece-Neville, Lestek and others to build many of their alternators but about 10 years ago began doing it themselves. Mastervolt for example still uses Leece-Neville but the alts are built to Mastervolt specs.

Ample Power uses the same high performance builder as I do. It may look like a Delco 10DN case but is far from it. There is nothing "off the shelf" about these alternators..

Years ago a couple of Balmar alts were off the shelf Leece-Neville marine alts, the model 81 was one of them and was basically a Leece Nevill 8MR, but they were discontinued in favor of better performance. The 8MR was however a marine specific alt with good low RPM performance and a decent build quality. The 6 series is a far better case design and when that case came out Balmar recognized that...

Today's Balmar alts are very good performers and highly reliable.. Balmar and E-Maax have moved away from single fan small case alts because cooling in an engine space on a boat is tough duty. Does not mean it can't be done but may people do not follow the instructions or use proper installation practices...

The six series has two internal fans vs. one external like the Delco 10DN cased alts have. That said a 912 or 6 series properly installed will give many, many, many years of great service. Improperly installed any of them can easily be fried by large banks, especially large AGM banks...

Your 912 failures were simply an installation practice issue. Cooking the grease out of the bearings typically means alternator temps have been running well in excess of 300F !!!!:cussing: There is no small case alternator on the planet that can run at full output for hours on end in a small hot engine compartment without cooking itself, burning up magnet wire, burning up bearings etc. etc. unless you were feeding it a huge supply of 20F air......

I have a number of 912 alts out there feeding similar sized AGM banks to yours but that were properly installed from the beginning. They are using Amp/Belt Manager as primary control and alternator temp sensing as the back up insurance policy to prevent burn out. Two of these 912's have been around the world... Bad alts? Not at all.

This is specifically why Balmar, Ample Power, Sterling, Mastervolt, Electromaax etc. all have temp sensors for these situations. Balmar regs also have Amp/Belt Manager to limit the alt output to a safe level for the application.

****EVERY EXTERNAL REGULATOR MANUFACTURER SHOULD OFFER AMP/BELT MANAGER****

The safe current limited level is often 10% less than the "hot rating" but it needs to be properly set up for your installation using temp probes and by artificially loading the alt to bulk while adjusting the alt reg to never allow the alt to exceed 220-225F... I prefer about 215F as the safe continuous output running range.

Any installer worth their weight would set it up this way in an installation like yours that is driving FOUR Lifeline AGM 4D's or 840Ah's!!!! It should have been set up this way from the very beginning and never should have left the dock without being properly set up and installed..

Sadly the alternators often get blamed when the installation practices are the real problem. I see this all too often. The fact that the original 912 lasted 7 months with no temp sensing & no use of Amp/Belt Manager, while charging 840Ah's of AGM batteries, is simply amazing...

An off the shelf Delco may have lasted hours in that situation, I have seen it numerous times........ There is a reason so many factory alts, like the Hitachi's, are shipping with internal self protective temp compensation, they simply need it.

Dec 13, 2010
Hunter 41 Marina Del Rey
Maine Sail,

I don't dispute that the lack of having a temp sensor may have led to the early demise of the 912 alternator and later the rear bearing however, as I stated, when I saw the unit internally after the first failure, the wiring and diodes were clearly WAY undersized for the intended performance. Also understand that I am an Electrical Engineer and have considerable experience with high output (100-150A) alternators used in general aviation applications so I know what should be inside an alternator that is intended for 100A output service.

As you pointed out, the Delco 10DN case with a single external open fan and the lack of proper heat sinking/airflow for the diodes is ill suited for a high output job. The Delco SI series alternator with an enclosed fan and far better diode heat sinks would have been a MUCH better model to base a high output alternator build so the 10DN was just an overpriced and over marketed product. Sure it will last if it is constantly in de-rated output mode but I wanted and paid for a 100A alternator!

The temp sensor is a safety device that in Balmer's case is being used as a crutch to de-power the alternator to keep it from overheating. A clear case of an alternator that is not designed to provide its rated output! A properly designed alternator that is rated for 100A should be able to produce 100A all day long without overheating - anything less except in extreme circumstances (engine room temps > 120F) or a dead short on the output is unacceptable performance! That is what I am paying Balmer the big bucks for!

I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that any alternator without a temp sensor would overheat! I know this is not true under normal engine compartment operating temps and I am not willing to cut any manufacturer that gets $700-$1500 for an alternator even the slightest amount of slack especially when similar FAA certified aircraft alternators actually cost less, are lighter weight and are far more reliable and none of which require temp sensors to de-rate the output!

Balmar's product should be properly sized and designed for the intended use and performance on a continuous basis otherwise the 100A alternator they are selling for $700+ is really a 40-50A alternator when the temperature regulator has to keep it from melting itself most of the time.

Jan 12, 2011
****EVERY EXTERNAL REGULATOR MANUFACTURER SHOULD OFFER AMP/BELT MANAGER****
On a related topic; I just ordered an ARS-5 to replace the failed ARS-4 on my system which is a 460AH bank FLA and a 100 amp alternator. I was going to just ignore the Belt manager thinking that the old system ran 10+years with no problem

I don't think I have ever seen more than 70 amps out of the alternator, does it really make a difference to set the Belt Manager to a reduced rating (I will need to measure the belt and compare to the chart in the programming to even know if there is a need)

Feb 6, 1998
Maine Sail,

I don't dispute that the lack of having a temp sensor may have led to the early demise of the 912 alternator and later the rear bearing however, as I stated, when I saw the unit internally after the first failure, the wiring and diodes were clearly WAY undersized for the intended performance. Also understand that I am an Electrical Engineer and have considerable experience with high output (100-150A) alternators used in general aviation applications so I know what should be inside an alternator that is intended for 100A output service.

I don't doubt what you saw but when wired properly to charge an 840Ah bank those issues would not have happened. I know the alt I build and sell is better than the old 912 series Balmar. But that Balmar was not a horrible alt and they offered it to fit a Yanmar which is very hard to find.

As you pointed out, the Delco 10DN case with a single external open fan and the lack of proper heat sinking/airflow for the diodes is ill suited for a high output job.
Prior to the AT series alts, which are hairpin wound, I would have taken your boat straight to a large case alt and heavy duty mount, not a small case Delco. A small frame alt is borderline suited to charge an 840Ah bank unless up-sized and then derated. Some large case alts can get closer to a continuous duty rating but again it is all dependent upon your engine space temps, the loads, alt shaft RPM and for how long the load is applied.

The Delco SI series alternator with an enclosed fan and far better diode heat sinks would have been a MUCH better model to base a high output alternator build so the 10DN was just an overpriced and over marketed product. Sure it will last if it is constantly in de-rated output mode but I wanted and paid for a 100A alternator!
Even the small case 6 series or other 130D Delco's need to be derated, on large enough banks, this is just a fact of life when driving HUGE banks for hours on end. There is no such beast as a continuous duty small case alternator at the face value rating because the face value ratings are at 80F from some builders and 120F for others.. Unfortunately there is NO industry standardized rating standard for alternators. The alt stays at 80F for all of about 10 seconds and will blow by 120F pretty quickly in bulk.....

One of the things I have to do quite often is replace cooked dumb regulated alternators that were asked to feed large banks of batteries. They are dumb, and simply stay in bulk and cook themselves... When I open them up they are literally cooked. This is not at all uncommon on deeply cycled large banks fed by dumb alts with a non-temp compensating regulator. Hitachi had such warranty issues with this on Yanmar's in boats that they added internal temp compensation to the dumb regulator to self protect the alt.

Keep in mind that what you buy is a "cold rating" or an 80F to 120F rating. Being an EE you can easily understand that at 190F, 200F, 225F etc. your real world hot alternator is already going to be putting out considerably less than the cold rating you paid for. Balmar hot rates at 190F, Ample at 200F and Electromaax at 220F. If you exceed 225F, long term, you start to run into problems. I don't know a single alt builder who recommends running at beyond 220F to 225F.. A 100A 6 series is doing 100A at 2500 RPM at 122F and at 2500 RPM and 190F it is only capable of 80A. If held at full bore, in most sailboat engine bays, it will exceed 225F.

The temp sensor is a safety device that in Balmer's case is being used as a crutch to de-power the alternator to keep it from overheating.
Not just Balmar every manufacturer of high performance external regulators has temp sensing. Even factory car alts and Hitachi etc. are coming through with temp compensation to self protect the alternator. Not a crutch a reality.. Part of this reality is that folks insist on charging at "fast idle" at fast idle these alts can put out rather tremendous current compared to an auto based alt. Problem is the fan is also spinning slower and this means temp sensing or derating becomes a near necessity, especially when fast idle charging, as many cruisers do...

A clear case of an alternator that is not designed to provide its rated output! A properly designed alternator that is rated for 100A should be able to produce 100A all day long without overheating - anything less except in extreme circumstances (engine room temps > 120F) or a dead short on the output is unacceptable performance! That is what I am paying Balmer the big bucks for!
Sure, if you were buying a hot rated 100A continuous duty alternator that would be the case but no one sells them that way. If I were to sell my 120A alt as an 85A alt I could not compete because the relatively uneducated buyer would think they are getting less of an alternator. My 120A alternator will run at 85A all day long inside a hot engine bay and not exceed 225F. My 120A rating is cold, Ample's rating is cold, Balmar's rating is cold, Electromaax's rating is cold, Mastervolts rating is cold, Hehr Powerline is cold, Powermax is a cold rating. A 100A alt does not put out 100A unless you find one that is sold hot rated.

The only rating that matters is where the alternator can run all day long and not blow by 225F on your boat.... Unfortunately no manufacture sells them this way because they have no idea what the temps are on your boat..... I have engine bays that get to 150+ degrees within an hour of running. It becomes very, very difficult for an alt to perform in this environment without being set up to do so or additional cooling provided for the alt.

When dealing with AGM batteries folks also need to consider what will yield the best cycle life for the money spent. Lifeline wants to see a minimum charge current of 20% of bank capacity. This means that you would ideally need an alternator capable of delivering 165A when hot. This most likely means a 200A+ small case alternator to achieve 165A continuous.

Even if we figured your alt can deliver its 100A that means it will be running at full bore for well over 3 hours if you dip to 50% SOC... Some manufacturers are getting smart and selling 160A alts that are already internally derated but the stator is really a 220A in order to get to that continuous rating of 160A. This is going to become more prevalent as Li batteries become more widely used.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that any alternator without a temp sensor would overheat! I know this is not true under normal engine compartment operating temps and I am not willing to cut any manufacturer that gets $700-$1500 for an alternator even the slightest amount of slack especially when similar FAA certified aircraft alternators actually cost less, are lighter weight and are far more reliable and none of which require temp sensors to de-rate the output!
As an EE I find it hard to believe you feel this way.... A 100A alt you buy is sold at the cold rating not hot. With most you lose 10-20% right off the top when they heat up.

I install lots of alts, it is part of what I do for a living. I am also a dealer for many of the big guns. I work pretty closely with the manufacturers, conduct field testing for some and own the test equipment to properly set them up, which on a massive AGM bank includes temporarily mounting temp sensors to the alt then closing the engine bay and running it full bore with the engine under load. With a large bank any "tech" who does not load and temp monitor your bank, in your closed engine compartment, is simply doing the customer a disservice.

Cutting anyone slack on price has nothing to do with the reality of small case high output alts in closed confined spaces running for hours & hours at full output. This is why Balmar and Almple Power offer ways to derate the alts with the regulators so that they can be set up to run at the maximum they can in the engine space without over heating and without bouncing in and out of temp limiting..

Small case alternators were never intended to run at full bore, in confined hot spaces, for hours and hours on end, not even high output models. The key here is "at full bore"... There is a limit to what they can do.

While they do it considerably better than a factory alt they still can't work miracles in that size case with internal diodes etc. etc.... In cars, trucks etc. they simply supply systems power at well below their rating. My wife's car has a 120A alternator and the biggest loads I have been able to measure on the battery is about 24A with EVERYTHING loaded that possibly can be...

Balmar's product should be properly sized and designed for the intended use and performance on a continuous basis otherwise the 100A alternator they are selling for $700+ is really a 40-50A alternator when the temperature regulator has to keep it from melting itself most of the time.
Balmar's products are sold the same way every other company does it. It's not a 40-50A alt if set up properly. Properly set up that 100A alt may very likely produce 70-75A continuously and never hit temp limiting, if amp-manger is used to set it up.

We should include Ample Power, Mastervolt, Electromaax, Powermax, APS, Hehr etc. on and on and on because no one sells and markets hot rated small case alternators. They sell them based on a cold rating and even this varies because there is no standard... The 100A alternator you buy when at 190F, 200F, 225F etc. will always be considerably less than the cold rating it is sold as. Still running it at full bore, in most engine bays with most any small case alts will see that alt blow by 225F in fairly short order..... I have installed every brand of small case high performance alt out there. There's no magic in any of them. Some are better constructed than others but all of them still need proper set up for the environment and bank they are feeding.

On our boat I feed a 400Ah LifeP04 bank with a 160A Delco 130D case alt which started life as an Electromaax. I have taken the alt apart and fully tweaked every component, bearings, diodes, brushes and wire using only the absolute finest components available. The stator and rotor were also custom built well beyond where the Electromaax alt was. Does this make the Electromaax alt bad? Not at all just not quite as good as it is now...

What I did would make this alt insanely expensive if sold by one of the big guys, and very few would be willing to pay for that. About the only thing I did not do was convert to an external diode rack. Still, even with all this tweaking, (this is probably one of the most bad a$$ HO 130D Delco's ever built) I can run this alt at just 120A in my engine bay and not blow by 225F...... I also have ducted cooling...

When cold and not current limited this alt will exceed 180A. When hot, 215F - 220F, and not current limited, she will run at about 150A. Still 120A is all she can do safely on a LifePO4 load for long durations to not blow past 225F..... I have no doubt that there is no finer or more robustly built 130D Delco alt out there, yet 120A on an alt built as a 160A unit is all she will do, on a continuous basis.. If I want more out of my alt I will need to go to a large case J mount or a Balmar 200A AT hairpin wound alternator. There is only so much that can be done with a small case alt.

I know these things from real world hands on experience with lots and lots of high output alternator installations using actual data collected, using actual measurements, temps and currents across nearly every brand of small case alternator ever made, as installed on boats..

Unfortunately you can not feed an 840Ah bank of AGM batteries with a small case alt and not have it do what yours did. Seven months was tremendous performance. The only one that might survive may be the AT series but I even have those derated based on actual temp performance as installed on the boat....

Lab data, marketing claims and actual installs, on actual boats, are not one in the same unfortunately.. Your alt problems are exactly what I see over and over and over when good installation practices are not followed. The 6 series or E-Maax or Ample or CMI, Powermax or any other small case alt designed to fit a Yanmar is not going to solve that problem only a well executed install will....

reraft

Jan 1, 2009
hunter 376 alameda ca
when all of the balmar smoke clears look at electromaax - i have a hunter 376 been cruising mexico for 3 years 160 amp electromaax alternator with a serpentine belt & it's performed perfectly & never even had to adjust the belt.
Our boat has two 4d house batteries - start battery - 160 amp alternator & 405 watts of solar.
Just my two cents

Feb 6, 1998
when all of the balmar smoke clears look at electromaax - i have a hunter 376 been cruising mexico for 3 years 160 amp electromaax alternator with a serpentine belt & it's performed perfectly & never even had to adjust the belt.
Our boat has two 4d house batteries - start battery - 160 amp alternator & 405 watts of solar.
Just my two cents
Other than the Balmar cases being powder coated white the E-Maax and Balmar 6 series alts are quite similar in construction. Balmar and E-Maax also partner on many products such as regulators, serpentine kits, and the Balmar AT series alternators. The E-Maax may potentially dissipate heat slighlty better, due to the lack of powder coating, but if proper set up they will both run for many, many years..

Both companies build a good product and I have installed lots of both product lines.

Jan 12, 2011
Just my two cents

I don't see any sense in spending money for 160A alternator for a boat with 2 4d batteries. Especially since you have enough solar to supply your boat already.

Feb 6, 1998
I don't see any sense in spending money for 160A alternator for a boat with 2 4d batteries. Especially since you have enough solar to supply your boat already.

Don,

That is two 4D AGM batteries. If I assume Lifeline GPL-4D's that means 420 Ah's... If one wants to minimize engine run time then a 160A alt with AGM's can make good sense.... It is not always sunny either so even with 400+ watts of solar there are times when the 160A alt can be a great tool.....

Some AGM makers such as Odyssey require a minimum charge source of 40% of "C" for warranty to be upheld.. If that was 420Ah's of Odyssey AGM's he would need an alt capable of 200A cold to hit 170A when hot..... Lifeline only requires 20% of "C" as the bare minimum, not the maximum... 31% of "C" is not far beyond Lifeline's bare minimum..

If we figure on his AGM's taking 40% or more in bulk then his 160A alt could actually be larger seeing as it will never run at 160A for very long, once it gets hot. 130A is a safe bet for bulk charging on a 160A alt and that is exactly where I would set a 160A E-Maax on two AGM 4D's... That puts him at just 31% of bank capacity or just a tick over what flooded batteries will accept in bulk...

Also people often forget about alt shaft RPM and at anchor charging, when necessary. At just 1250 engine RPM (using a 2.25:1 ratio) the 160A alt can achieve 120A.

The same alt in an 80A version, at 1250 engine RPM, is at about 60A.

Double the fast idle charging speed, in the same size alt case, keeps everyone in the anchorage happier...;)

Sep 30, 2010
hunter 33 Hunter Morehead city
I would like to know at what voltage output are these alternators rated and why

Status
Not open for further replies.