Bald guy problems...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
As a bald person, I have learned that hair not only insulates the scalp, it protects it from scrapes. Working on a boat is often an “overhead environment” in which I scrape myself up. I even came home with dried blood trailing down my scalp last weekend. My wife’s eyes when I walked in told me something was really wrong!

Anyway, I found a nice solution, so I thought I would share it. It is called a “bump cap.” It is basically a hard-shell liner for a baseball cap. There are many types, so I got a couple, and I am trying them out. I got one cap with it built in, and I got several others loose. The loose models are held in by the sweat band. I like that I could move them or remove them. So far, they are comfortable, not too heavy, and don’t make the cap fit poorly. They do hold in heat, and condensation builds up; however, it runs into the sweat band on the hat. I appreciate the warmth. It is cold up here, and I don’t heat my warehouse too warm, 44 F. The best part? No bumps or scrapes in 3 weekends of working!

Here is an example:

Now if I would just remember to wear my mechanic’s gloves....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It would seem that as I loose my sense of personal space this might be a useful tool to have around.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
At the Junior event I posted about all USSC Martin County junior sailers must wear helmets. I agree with that. BTY it's not a bad practice to snip those buttons off the top of caps for sailing. The boom hitting that button won't re-set your IQ but you'll be dancing around in pain for a while.

• Helpful
Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
That button is called a "squatchee"; probably because "worthless, senseless pointy thing that can pierce your skull" takes too long to say. When you drive your squatchee into the top of your head all sorts of odd words and sounds can be heard....

Oct 22, 2014
When you drive your squatchee into the top of your head all sorts of odd words and sounds can be heard....
Done that and have the scars to remember the experience.

And you may have thought I wear the wool beanee watch cap because I'm cold.:laugh:

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
That button is called a "squatchee"; probably because "worthless, senseless pointy thing that can pierce your skull" takes too long to say. When you drive your squatchee into the top of your head all sorts of odd words and sounds can be heard....
I hate those awful things.

Oct 22, 2014
I never though about removing them. I thought they held the top of the hat together.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
If I could get one that had a “grow light for hair” as an option I’d be ALL IN!

Each spring I get outside and FORGET that the “dome” forest has been clearcut! OUCH!!!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
And here I thought I was the only one that had experienced this phenom ;)

Aug 3, 2012
Oh my dear lord, how I hate that button!!! Two words: skin avulsion.... ugh. Ouch! That thing digs right in and under.
I can really string ‘em together when that happens! My wife is sooo patient. She just stays quiet, and she says, “sorry hon.” And you are right... never once occurred to me to remove the blasted thing!
Love this new bump cap! It saved me 29 times today. I got my rebuilt raw water pump and fuel cooler installed today with no scrapes. Lots of bumps, no scrapes. I even wore my husky mechanic gloves. No new perforations on my hands. I gotta tell ya, the free end of a hose clamp will insert itself like a knife into your palm. Oh, I went and got a beer at my favorite pub before I got to 30 bumps!

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
There are also bump cap inserts that are just a hard plastic shell without padding. They work great to reduce scrapes and you can drill extra vent holes in them for hot weather. I'll try to remember to post pics tomorrow of the different types we use at work.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Another area of potential damage is shins. Last Fall I was removing our 6 man liferaft from Maxine for storage and I whacked myself on the shin which produced a monster hematoma. I went out after that and bought a pair of soccer shin guards. They weigh very little and provide great protection.

Aug 3, 2012
I had / still have some of those hose clamp ends. They fall off, and I find out by getting stuck while sticking my hand in some tight space. I have started taping the ends. I have also thought about curling them under, but I worry I will not be able to remove them fully from a tight space. The mechanics gloves are tough enough to stop those ends.

I like the shin guard idea! I also wear knee pads when I am stuck balancing on a knee while reaching into awkward spots. They really help me preserve my knees. I especially hate when I roll across the kneecap and get that burning nerve pain!