Balboa 20

JTP

Sep 20, 2017
Balboa 20 SCITUATE, MA
Hi. I have 1969 Balboa 20. Hatch blew alway years ago. Had temporary solution but like to fine original replacement. Anybody got ideas how I can find?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome JT...
Can you give us a bit more info? Hatch?
  1. Do you mean the hatch board,
  2. or the sliding companion way cover,
  3. or a hatch that folds up on the fore deck?

Oct 22, 2014
So like the one in this picture?
IMG_5743.JPG
You will not find one to match the color of your gel coat. You may be able to make a close replica. You can likely find a Lewmar, or Bomar hatch to fit from an online source. The size is not unusual. You would need to measure fit and then install.

Check out http://boatworkstoday.com/ The guy did some hatch repairs in one of his videos and I seem to recall he built one out of fiberglass by creating a mold then laying up the glass. Then he shaped it to finish and gel coated the hatch to closely match the existing one on the boat he was refitting.

JTP

Sep 20, 2017
Balboa 20 SCITUATE, MA
Yes! The hatch on the blue Balboa is exactly what I need. Is that boat in use? Thanks for your input!

Oct 22, 2014
JT. I found the image on the internet. I was trying to help you identify the issue you are having.

That hatch looks like one made by the manufacturer. Was a common thing during the year your boat was built. The builder had all the materials to make a fiberglass hatch and so did.

You can repeat the process or you can upgrade and put in a modern designed Lewmar. They cost bucks not your time. They are a significant upgrade.

Or you can choose to go old school and build yourself a wood framed hatch to fit the hole and put say plexiglass over the top to give you a skylight in the boat.

JTP

Sep 20, 2017
Balboa 20 SCITUATE, MA
Yes I had made a wooden hatch for it but that split over time and eventually blew off as well. Of course I am trying to do this on the cheap. Got some neighbors who had some good suggestions on making one. Winter project maybe?

Oct 22, 2014
Winter project maybe?
Definitely. Nothing wrong with a nice wooden one for your boat. I have a wooden one on my boat and it serves well for the inland waters I am cruising in the Puget Sound. But I am considering going off shore. So I have been looking seriously at the Lewmar hatch as a replacement. They will secure the bow of my boat from breaking waves that would try to sink her. On a day-sailor like yours I would either make a mold and do my own fiberglass hatch or go with wood. You can make a nice secure wood hatch when varnished would look great on your boat.

Dec 12, 2020
Balboa 20 Milwaukee
Hi. I have 1969 Balboa 20. Hatch blew alway years ago. Had temporary solution but like to fine original replacement. Anybody got ideas how I can find?
Did you get a solution to your hatch?