Balboa 20 vs ensenada 20 ??

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
In my quest for our perfect trailer sailer I just missed being able to purchase a Balboa 20, which got me taking a closer look at them, and realizing that it was just about built to order for us. I doubt I'll see another one any time soon, in our local area, but I did come across it's flush deck sister, the Ensenada 20, that may be available. when I look at the two data sheets I see some discrepancy between the to that I'm not sure I believe, so I'm looking for insight here.
(1) The Balboa lists the swing keel as being 450lb but the Ensenada shows 550lb. I understood these were the same hull, so why the difference? or which weight is actually correct?
(2) I hear the cockpit in the Ensenada is somewhat shorter than the Balboa, but I don't know by how much. any help here? how about cabin headroom (seated)?
(3) any preference on performance or other issues I should know about, between the two versions?

Thanks,
Russ

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would say that the San Juan 21, the Balboa 20 and the Ensenada 20 are old boats which may have more in common with a sailing dinghy than a small cruiser. I had a San Juan 21 many years ago and the boat was a wet ride, it lacked a proper bilge so water coming in through the keel trunk accumulated in the cabin sole. The swing keel was heavy and required a winch to operate and in upset waters you could feel some excessive keel play at the pivot point. Had a full set of sails jib, genoa and 2 mains but they were original and mostly blown. Head room in the cabin was non existent and had no clearance for a bimini top and we used to carry an umbrella. Not withstanding the boat sailed very well and was easy to trailer. It was a better than good daysailer but a horrible overnighter. We now keep as a 2nd boat a Starwind 223 which we trailer to distant sailing venues for 10-15 day trips at a time. The 22' boat is dry, has a fixed keel and centerboard combo, a small galley, lifting hatch to allow standing room in the cabin, and room to store a cooler and a porta potty. It is a little heavier to trailer and rig up but not much more. My point is there are 22' ft sailers out there that are probably selling for similar prices and that could offer much more. Do not be afraid of the jump in size as a 22' is probably a more stable and forgiving boat. Do not also be afraid to look out of your area. It may likely be worthwhile to trailer a few hundred miles if you find a better deal some place else.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Sirius 21 is an outstanding boat for what you are looking for. Has much better manners than a Catalina 22. My personal experience has it a little better built than a Catalina. However, I have had a Catalina 25 and loved it as well, but not really trailer able.
In answer to your keel weight, it is not uncommon for the varying weight. Mast could be taller, or the heavier keeled boat can carry more sail.

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 1986 Lake Lanier, GA
Wish I still had my Balboa 20. I now sail a Hunter 25 Cherubini (which I love!) but the old Balboa was a great introduction to crusing for my wife and myself. She had a great cockpit and we overnight-ed in her very comfortably while we had her. When at anchor we rigged a small tarp over the boom with a tent pole at each end to keep the tarp spread out. Many fond memories and she sailed great!

Aug 30, 2016
Balboa 20 Melbourne
I have a Balboa 20 and I think it is the best sailboat in the world. I love it. I think you could find one online and drive and get it.

Aug 22, 2022
Balboa 20 Montezuma
Greetings All,
I have just become the owner of a Balboa 20 (there is much cosmetic work to be done but no structural work that I have found so far) and I am interested in knowing others with the same boat who have had much more experience with her. I have sailed for almost 50 years but never out of sight of land and in predominantly fair weather. My Sunbird 16 is a lovely daysailer but I look forward to "camping" in the Balboa. Would love to hear from people! Thanks, from central Georgia. Beau

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Beau to the SBO forum
Congrats on your Balboa 20. You may or may not find many Balboa owners here, but you will find sail boat owners who enjoy boats and are willing to share their knowledge and skills to help a fellow boat owner address or resolve the issues they face.
You may learn that unlike cars with their unique issues i.e. ford vs chevy... boats have many similar issues regardless of the manufacturer.

Do you dream of sailing your Balboa 20 beyond the sight of Land? Passage to the Bahamas?

Aug 22, 2022
Balboa 20 Montezuma
Thank you for responding! In my younger days passage making would have been a possibility, but perhaps not so much now. I will sail with the Middle GA Trailer Sailors in lakes close by and beyond (Lake Juliette is where we sail quite a bit) and I dream of sailing the ICW on the GA coast and underneath the panhandle of Florida! If I had someone who had done a trip to the Bahamas before on board, I would consider it. Especially in retirement! I look forward to learning a lot here, and thank you again.

Nov 3, 2022
Lund Pike Rebel 16 Seattle
I just found an Ensenada 20 that I can get fairly cheap. Hull is supposed to be in good condition but the interior is gutted. Boat is supposed to be complete. Is there any balsa or other structural wood in the boat or just cosmetic wood parts? Other than making sure the keel still moves any problem areas that I should check out that I might not see visually? Thanks for the help!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One has to wonder why the boat is gutted. Welcome to the SBO forum.
If the boat was sunk, then all is suspect.
Here is a link to pre-survey notes that may be of help.

Carefully examine all the rigging, the mast step, and the sails. Expect to be replacing stuff. This means expense well beyond initial costs.

Here is one owner’s view of the boat. The costs observations an the end of his discussion you may find interesting.

Nov 3, 2022
Thanks for the info! Gives me an idea what things will cost. I have to go look at it and see what it really is. I am a woodworker so that part doesn’t bother me as long as I have patterns for attached items. I will let you know what I find after I see the boat.

Dec 7, 2022
Westerly Pageant 23 Berkeley
One reason the boat may be gutted is that although the hull is well made (1 big exception) the interior was cheaply done. The quarter berth sides, galley cabinet and the transverse bulkhead at the keel trunk were made of beautiful hardwood. It was NOT marine grade, perhaps not even exterior grade and had no business on a boat and bilge water will cause delamination. Gutting the interior as a first step in rebuilding is probably what occurred. My Ensenada is having the delaminated bits replaced without totally gutting it but that makes the job more complicated. One exception to the otherwise high quality of the fiberglass layup is the foredeck sandwich construction. Inside the fiberglass is not balsa wood or plywood, it's PARTICLE BOARD ! That's not a material that holds up to moisture that leaks through inadequately bedded deck fittings. This I discovered when fitting a deck plate for the anchor line. The foredeck had a small soft area, barely noticeable (you could slightly feel it, couldn't see any flexing) that I went the quick route of bolting in a couple of stringers under. I'm still looking forward to finishing the work and getting on the water. I can do the work myself and enjoy (strangely enough) doing it. For someone else it could be a version of hell. Good luck with your Ensenada if you get it.

Nov 3, 2022
Thanks for the response. I would not have guessed anyone would use particle board in anything near water! I understand the interior gutting of the boat now. Owner is out of town after I responded to his add. Should be coming back soon and will contact me. I look forward to seeing the boat. One more question, was all of the interior plywood tabbed into the hull or was it screwed into stringers? Any glasses in stringers in the hull to worry about? Thanks again!

Dec 7, 2022
Westerly Pageant 23 Berkeley
Fortunately there are no stringers in the hull so if you don't see any it's not that any were removed. There are 3 transverse bulkheads from the aft side of the v-berth forward and a small floor between the aft and middle bulkheads. The floor seems to be for a flat surface on which to place a portable head. Interior layouts I've seen indicate that is the space where it goes. There are 4 removable panels in the v-berth platform to access the 3 compartments underneath. The forward panel is long and narrow, the middle is square, the rear has 2 rectangular pieces. All of the interior wood is glassed to the hull with 1 strip of glass tape per side. Glassing the underside of the v-berth must have been a very difficult and unpleasant job. I'm undecided as to the degree the interior woodwork is meant to stiffen and reinforce the hill. Certainly the transverse bulkheads and v-berth do, the quarter berths and portside galley cabinet probably not as much. Construction was simplified by glassing all of the interior pieces to the hill, just place the assembled parts in place and glass them in. Additionally this provides 5 separate compartments that are watertight and extend above (slightly) the waterline. Perhaps intended as a safety measure. So it's an odd mixture of the excellent and the crappy but I'd much rather have an excellent hull beneath me with a crappy interior than the reverse. With the hull gutted you can redo things to your own preference although it be a big job that not everyone has the time, skills or patience to take on. There's a Ensenada 20 Facebook group and one guy there redid his boat's interior. All very high quality, beautiful plywood and the boat looks better than new. Don't overpay !!! What the seller has is a white elephant in search of a very special buyer and you'll need every spare dollar to get it seaworthy. If not you, I hope someone saves it, it deserves a 2'nd chance.